[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - "Hells Gate" Speedway

"Hells Gate" Speedway

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

"Hells Gate" Speedway

Postby btaylor » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:05 am

Well I took the plunge. After five years , the Old roadcourse was getting kind of shabby. To much intricate scenery to keep clean, and the track joints were just giving me fits. It was time for a new Oval track! I started by tearing down the old track and frame work.
Then Started back up with a couple of sheets of 1/2" MDF. I used biscuits to keep my seem aligned this time, so a glued and screwed flat surface was a must.
Once the table top was in place, I broke out the heavy machinery, and went to work Routing all my slots.
I built this track with a very specific purpose in mind. I wanted a very fast short track for my midgets.and I also wanted a more user friendly track manager station. With only a 12 x 16 room, there isn't a lot of extra space once a track is installed.
Image\
I went with a Georgia red clay look on the racing surface, and will fill in the green areas with paint.
I added a 6" shelf to mount the driver stations, and track call buttons. Added the rear wall sky background, (still need to add clouds) and got one lane taped up.
The track itself measures 4' x 12'. I wanted a short track, and I wasn't disappointed when I got that first lane taped up! the action you get from a Fast motor, short track gears, and a good surface is unbelievable. Yes, I could have added the extra footage on either end, but I had that already, and wanted something a little more action packed. I think I hit the nail on the head with this one! Never underestimate a short oval.
by the way, though I haven't changed the name yet on my back board, the track name came from a neighbor that stopped over during the builds Saturday. He came in the back room, where I was working on the track. The A/C wasn't on. as I was routing, and cutting. Dusting up a storm! He stood there a minute, then said Man! how can you work back here? Its hotter than "Hells Gate" in here! so there you have it! A very short fast dirt track that pays homage to the hometown clay ovals in the south where its hotter'n Hells Gate!
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: "Hells Gate" Speedway

Postby ourwayband » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:32 pm

Great looking track.You Sir are one fast serious builder,of tracks,cars,just everything!

Rusty h
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:38 pm

Holy Crap that was fast BT...he is “THE NEVER SLEEP PSYCHO BUILDER”...very Sweeeet!! :auto-driving: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:20 pm

MAN Bob! You definitely waste no time!
Looking GREAT!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby btaylor » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:53 am

And what is a good oval without some scenery? :lol:
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:59 am

Nice work Bob! Always fun to see a new oval come to life. I like the look and the name hehe.

Others will a smaller footprint should appreciate this as well. We will feature this on the home site when you are ready.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Gameover » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:38 am

someday i hope to have a wood oval.

looks great brother!
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby btaylor » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Steve, you need to jump in there! its easy peasy, and wont take up any more room than your sectional. You wont regret running on wood. Not that there is anything wrong with plastic, I have used it for years. But that quiet smooth running of the cars is very hard to beat.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:26 pm

Oh yea, my new track logo!
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Oh great. On top of everything else, he's an artist, too. Good job, boogerbutt.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Just a logo possibility for the track.

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Gameover » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:22 pm

Harry that looks great! you can see my logo in my sig. the wifey made mine.

Bob i love wood from the first time i ran on shotguns to harrys last year....... harry promised a build weekend with me. still waiting to cash in.......?
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:56 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:59 pm

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby dge467 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:45 pm