[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - "Hells Gate" Speedway

"Hells Gate" Speedway

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: "Hells Gate" Speedway

Postby btaylor » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:42 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby historiceng » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:55 pm

That was so quick!! I was anticipating the track build but went away for a few days and then I almost missed it!
Post didn't disappoint, such a fun track.
Harry is right about the smaller footprint, I was hoping to build as close to Harry's as possible but really that 16' is hard to find here.
I have been working on a sort of fold up onto the wall arrangement in the house so I can still be in with the family on the cold winter nights. This size would work much better for me, so 4' x 12' it is....

Along with Harry and Strangebrew, 100% inspiration... thank you Guys.. :text-goodpost:
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Eric, i can promise you wont be disappointed with the 4 x 12. It is an absolute blast to run on.the drifting is very real at this length. It has a true short track feel to it. I have yet to pick a favorite lane, as each has its own thrill factor.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby historiceng » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Yes this is the way for me to go Bob, thank you, this is all great stuff pls keep posting...
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 4424ever » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:34 pm

Mine’s even smaller at 11’2” X 3’2” with 4 lanes and Bobs right there an absolute blast to drive. With flat corners the length allows good speed down the straightaway but way too much for corner so you really have drive the track. Build one you won’t regret it. Mine was built as a cheap experiment to fill a space in the race room to get some wood oval action going. We run weekly on three tracks(everyone has Scaley sport track) and my roadcourse barely gets used because everybody hits the oval :dance:
PS I run the oval at 10 volts with Parma controllers
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby historiceng » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:44 am

Thank you "442" that sound great.
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:09 am

While we're discussing tracks similar to HGS, my Shepherd Speedway (named after humorist Jean Shepherd who wrote the classic holiday film 'Christmas Story'), is a flat 2 lane 4' x 14' oval. It was built as a test track in 2005, my first routed track as I explored the possibilities. I've redesigned it on paper several times but don't have the heart to actually take it apart and make changes or replace it.

442 - with 4 lanes in 3' 2" what are your turn radii and lane spacing dimensions? Did you route constant radii turns (like plastic track), or go more freestyle? My original goal was to make a plastic style track out of wood so I didn't take advantage of the flexibility a wood track can offer.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby 4424ever » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:07 am

Slothead when I built the track my first thought was to have varied turns but with the space I had available it was much easier to route constant radius corners. To prevent riding the wall in lane 4 the wall sweeps away from the lane in the middle and back again. If you even try to use the wall you get knocked out of the slot. The track is on Oval Racing World if you want to check it out if I recall without measuring the spacing is 3 1/4” :o
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:13 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks for the link - the track and cars look great. Very nice shot of 'hometown' cars side-by-side as though about to start a race. Racing 4 lanes on this track must be just like a Saturday night 1/4 mile bullring.

I'm a big fan of tribute cars and tracks, very well done.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Impulse-ive » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:54 pm

I love that logo! I wish I could do something like that for my routed track. Well done sir.

The track is great too. We raced an oval at sidewinder where they add coco poweder to the track. It was test every time we ran it.
Impulse-ive
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to The Lumber Yard