[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - G scale Figures

G scale Figures

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

G scale Figures

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Any feedback on the cheap Chinese Gscale sets of figures?
I have several sets of MRRC / Monogram and a few others here and there but nowhere near enough to populate the track.
The evilbay has inexpensive Gscale figures, but I am wondering if they are close to 1/32 or if they are huge and closer to 1/24? I don't need half Giants and half midgets at the track...
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: G scale Figures

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:10 pm

G scale is 1:22.5.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby WB2 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:20 am

Ask the seller how tall the figures are. A 6’ tall 1/32 scale person would be 2 1/4” tall.
“G scale” runs the gamut from 1:22.5 (LGB) to 1:32 (American 4’ 8 1/2” standard gauge running on 45mm gauge track). There is a lot of leeway in what manufacturers churn out as G scale, but, in general, I would think the figures would be closer to 1/24 scale.
You might look at 1/35 figures made for military modelers.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Scott V » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 am

Watching this one. Have the same curiosity after seeing the bulk deals on FleaBay.

It's a shame the scale figures are so GD expensive. And the variety is slim pickin's if you don't want the 1950's and '60's era theme of people in suits and winter overcoats. :D The Carrera ones are really the only modern looking mass produced fan figures but hate the price and they aren't even true 1/32 scale. Someone needs to step up to the plate and offer a new line of scale figures for 1/32 racers with detailed tracks! :dance:
Scott V

Postby RazorJon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:13 am

If they are cheap or you can buy a few, I say give it a try, most Asia products are smaller than our scale

we will wait for your report :text-goodpost:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby valie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:14 pm

valie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Gert,
Thanks.... that's sort of what I was hoping to see.
I know the sizes are all over the place, but if the are close enough they work for me.
I have Monogram and Strombecker pit crews.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:20 am

Paul - I picked up bunches of these labeled as 1:32. As shown above, they work well and you can usually find them in cheap/large lots. I will warn you the paint jobs are pretty awful, but they look good enough as-is for the bleachers.

I've not offered my figures in quite a while as they are a bit of a pain, but I'm thinking about re-doing the molds as we get closer to winter. Let's see how motivated I am ;)
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:46 am

I have used the “bulk buy” figures also. If you buy them painted they are painted - poorly and pretty much all have black hair. I bought a batch of unpainted figures and had fun with those. Hard plastic.

Many of the men are tall. The ladies seem to fit better with the other brands of figures. I use them all and try to intersperse figures together that make sense scale wise. I recommend you try some and see what you think. Not really a huge investment.
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:28 am

Thank you everyone....sounds like I will be getting some to help the population.
The feedback is appreciated.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby smithspeedway » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:02 am

smithspeedway
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 am

Yup, I have a couple sets of the old Monogram figures from when MRRC started to produce them again....
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby downtowndeco » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:24 am

These are the cheapo Chinese figures in question. They come flesh color, I painted them. When you look for them on ebay look for 1/30 unpainted figures. There are also 1/24th figures, which are too large IMO. You get lots of duplicates (lots) but they are so cheap it's OK.

downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:28 pm

Yup, I have a batch coming. They are ok scattered around the track. Works for inexpensive and quick population.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:36 pm

I injected an input earlier on the bulk Chinese figure subject. Still stand by my opinion that they are more than adequate when repainted even a little bit and sprayed with a matte clear finish.

Every picture you see of someone's track has the same very recognizable figures from different brands. Now I'm giggling that we are headed towards all having a different set of equally recognizable figures that are 3D printed from the same shared Thingiverse files. Me included! I'm OK with that.
jeff
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard