[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - The ALL-New Palmer Divide Raceway!!! Updated 02-01-2019

The ALL-New Palmer Divide Raceway!!! Updated 02-01-2019

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: The ALL-New Palmer Divide Raceway!!!

Postby RichD » Fri May 26, 2017 7:00 am

You can up the average speed of your jam car if you put masking tape in the braking zones.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri May 26, 2017 11:48 pm

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

The ALL-New Palmer Divide Raceway!!!

Postby dreinecke » Fri May 26, 2017 11:51 pm

Ever leave the power on to your track all night? I have several times. So, I just installed 50' of blue, LED rope lighting under the track. Not only can I now see in my boxes under the table, but it is plugged into the same plug bar as the power. It'll be a little hard to miss this now...

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby arroldn » Sat May 27, 2017 5:20 am

Wow what a man cave.

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sat May 27, 2017 7:18 am

I do always wire a small 12 vt dc light into my power supply. That keeps me from leaving the track on when I'm not there.

Guys I do something similiar with my soldering iron. After leaving one on many years ago and burning it up and thinking of how an accident can happen, I bought a few bucks worth of stuff at the hardware store to make a timer. I have a wind up timer for up to 60 minutes plugged into an outlet and my iron is plugged into the timer. I wind it up to 10-5 minutes to solder. If I walk away and leave it on it shuts off after a few minutes. I'll put up a picture later today.

Dave, that's really coming along nicely. I believe you can easily run two 1/24 cars!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Sat May 27, 2017 8:55 am

That sir is very cool. Talk about atmosphere. Well done David.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby dreinecke » Mon May 29, 2017 7:31 am

Managed a little work this weekend.

The timing system is now sorted and working. I would have liked to not used the light gantry but this area of the basement is just too dark to get away with that. It works very well!

I painted the outer track lines using 1/4" green tape to run the lines. I still freehand everything as nothing on a real track is perfectly straight. I subscribe to the "looks good enough" method of scenery.

Next up was the wall at the end of the straight (Turn 9). Simple latice work plastic from Home Depot that I scribed, masked for the blue paint and ran some grime wash over when it was all done. Secured it to the fascia board with some Powergrab from a tube.

I got about 1/3 of the track fascia board covered with the plaster cloth before running out. I use this method to give some scenic opportunity, break up straight lines, and keep the cars on the track. Once that dried, I threw some of my turf paint at it really quick just to get rid of the snow storm effect. This is almost June for crying out loud!

I added some of my re-cycled fencing and Scalextric ARMCO as well where needed. I still haven't quite decided on the pit structures or any for that matter, but I've got time to think about it before I do my normal "I'll just throw that here...".

I also started playing with the pink foam I'm going to use for the scenic areas on the climb as well as in the middle. Easy to shape and should cover with the plaster cloth when I'm done sculpting it. I've got several (4) of the new grandstands from Magnetic Racing on order. I blame Chappy on that. Those things are gorgeous!!! Three of them will sit on the foam through the esses. Should be exciting spectating right there.

Lots still to do, but my good friend Chris W. is coming over to race today and then I'm going to the Def Leppard concert tonight with my sister, daughter and step mom. Meaning - I won't be able to hear a freaking thing tomorrow!!!!

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Mebrown » Mon May 29, 2017 9:24 am

Looks great!

(My phone wouldn't show the pictures before my original comment.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Mebrown on Mon May 29, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mebrown

Postby eightwheels » Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 am

Looks like it is taking shape, Watching the pink foam effect for serene, Like the blue light effect and is a good thing to let you know that the power is still on. Will be a good track to run the final round on.
eightwheels
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GASSERMAN » Mon May 29, 2017 2:59 pm

That's beautiful Dave. Keep up the nice work. Bob................
GASSERMAN
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Coming along nicely Doc...that lighting is freaky cool!!! Layouts are usually never ending labors of love!!!!

"I subscribe to the "looks good enough" method of scenery."...great quote!!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:38 am

That's a really nice track! The under-track lighting is cool.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:42 pm

Thanks guys! I was able to do a little more work tonight...I'm finding it hard to stop running cars!

I built all four of my Magnetic Racing Grandstands - these are simply fabulous. Fun to build and they look so great to boot!

I also managed to put plaster cloth over the outer climb to Turn 5. It is pretty barren at the moment, but with turf and people it will start to come alive.

Oh! And a fence. Some safety nut just came by and said that needs to be in place before we can host spectators in the stands...

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Rleog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:23 am

There are lots of things to learn from your build and it's amazing that you brought it to this point so quickly. I particularly like the earth berm effect that you achieved by using pink foam insulation and plaster cloth.

Great layout. Thanks for the descriptions.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:56 am

Rleog - thanks. If it helps others do it - so much the better.

I've not used the pink foam before and actually am not doing what I'd originally planned - I was going to carve the cut areas and wash it - but really decided I didn't want cliffs. I like the way some tracks cut into hills for the course, so that is when the plaster cloth came out to go over it.

Looking forward to getting some turf down!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard