[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - The ALL-New Palmer Divide Raceway!!! Updated 02-01-2019

The ALL-New Palmer Divide Raceway!!! Updated 02-01-2019

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: The ALL-New Palmer Divide Raceway!!!

Postby padirtfan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:31 am

David,
The latest iteration of PDR looks great! I like the blue LED's, they'd look great in my guitar room.
padirtfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:14 am

As always nice work David. Under the blue light she looks kinda like a supersized grand piano. Interesting effect.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks guys. Mike - Funny! My daughter said the same!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

The ALL-New Palmer Divide Raceway!!!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:44 am

A little more work done this week - the big news is that safety fencing has been put in so the little people can return! Turf in these areas will be next on the to-do list.

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby btaylor » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:47 am

David, your track is looking great! Some of the charm of your other tracks is showing through. I like that! New, but familiar. Its a great look, keep it going.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby dreinecke » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Well finally! Life is sort of slowing down enough for me to get back to slot cars and the PDR.

I managed to get 3 Ikea Besta' shelves for almost nothing from a neighbor that I've put under the track for storage. I plan on putting some of my RMS Resins masters and other kits under it as I needed a little more organization to those.

I also was able to get the last of the base down: pink foam covered with plaster cloth. It does look angular, but the turf will soften it. I managed to throw paint at it to get rid of the blizzard effect and then had enough time to get the fascia painted.

Next up is the turf, some trees, more fencing and I still have to figure out my pits.

Starting to come together!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Looking good David. I am amazed at how fast you got the layout to the stage it is at.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:56 pm

That is becoming a work of Art!!

Rusty H
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Looking Great Doc , really coming along nicely.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby CJR » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 am

The track is looking great. But, I wonder if your neighbor is OK. :roll:
CJR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:46 am

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:59 am

Had a few hours the last few evenings to burn and made some progress:

1) All structures are in their final resting place
2) The junkyard from the old PRD has a home on this track - didn't think I'd have room, but I'm happy to say I do.
3) I made 30 hay bales to start and need a few hundred LOL. Resin block of the right dimension that is covered in glue and then sprinkled with cuttings from sisal rope. Looks pretty good to me.
4) I planted the little amount of trees I can fit on the track - remember, the track is an homage to the shape, but not how RIR was. This is the PDR and we have pine and aspen trees here! I am keeping them out of hand-reach this time to make marshaling easier.
5) I plan on moving the grandstands in the event of a "real" race like a proxy for the same reason as #4 above - marshaling.
6) Planted all the fence posts and guardrail that I think it needed. The PDR exists in that time where wood fences and hay bales are slowly being changed out for Armco and concrete walls.

So, now that I've done that, I'm ready to start spreading turf in the next few weeks - I have to order more static grass as I didn't realize I was almost out. That's fine, I'll run some laps while waiting!

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: The ALL-New Palmer Divide Raceway!!! Updated 8/12/17

Postby arroldn » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:23 pm

David,
What is the paint you used. See it was a base then a speckled top finish. Thinking about repainting my plastic and removing the Rustoleum textured paint.

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: The ALL-New Palmer Divide Raceway!!! Updated 8/12/17

Postby MoparGreg » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:18 am

Your track is coming along nicely David. I'm always amazed how much you get done in a short amount of time. Cant wait for the next instalment.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: The ALL-New Palmer Divide Raceway!!! Updated 01-26-2018

Postby dreinecke » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 am

I can't believe it has been this long since I've worked on the track. Part of that is due to the fact I've been releasing new resins and frankly, just having fun driving the track. I've hosted the vintage slot car club from Denver for an afternoon, the last leg of the 2017 Trans-Am Proxy and a number of "play dates" with friends. All-in-all, I really enjoy driving the track.

I laid down all of the base turf over the areas that were simply painted tan - it is a combination of Woodland Scenic ballast as well as sanded grout in a tan color I liked. I simply spread Modge Podge glue down and sprinkle. I then go over the entire area with a water/soap mixture applied with an eye-dropper and then more diluted Modge Podge to hold it all down. While that is wet, I sprinkle some ground foam in areas to give a little texture and look like larger weeds. The next step in the process will be to add some 6-8mm static grass in areas. I'll do that when my order of grass shows up.

The pits have new, longer roof structures over them than the last version of the PDR. I liked the way these turned out. Simply basswood with corrugated paper on the roof and some dowels holding it all up.

The junkyard from the old PDR is back! One of my favorite visuals from the last version of the PDR, it is not completed, but is starting to take shape.

I also began to place figures - not a bunch yet as I'm not 100% certain where I want them all, but at least the track no longer looks abandoned.

I still have lighting, my Miller Engineering billboards, the aforementioned grass, etc to do, but the track is beginning to come alive!

Lastly, I still get comments like; "RIR didn't have trees.". I know. This is an homage, not a replica, and I like trees. So there.

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard