[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - CNC routed track questions

CNC routed track questions

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

CNC routed track questions

Postby lancelotalove » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:45 am

I can get access to a CNC router to make a slot car table and I have many questions. I routed a test track following a Top Gear track and found out that many of my turns were too sharp in radius meaning the guide gets stuck or the car just doesn’t make that sharp of turn. The test track is 8ftX4ft.
I am looking at making a 15ft long X 4ft wide, 2lane track with an elevated bridge to get more straightaway. It will be made of ½ inch MDF.
I got a couple of tracks drawn up but when I check the radius on some turns they are about 4 or 5inch and too sharp. I almost have to have the machine draw the carving out on a board to see the radius of the turn. How do you know if the turn is too sharp?
How do you set up Ess turns to be equal lefts and rights and how many 2,3,4,5?
How deep is the slot? .3 is just over ¼ inch.
Any suggestions on tracks or track flow?
I am using Inkscape to draw (Inkscape seems limited) and then converting it to Vcarve 8.5 (coding software I have to use)
Is there any suggestions from people with experience on CNC?
Lance
lancelotalove
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: CNC routed track questions

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:22 pm

^^^^^ what he said.
I have a hairpin on my large track that is about a 5" radius and it's really tight and slow. And the Carrera guides do hang up. A 6-8" radius works pretty well. There are lots of options for 4 x15 ft. Should be a great track, I am looking forward to seeing it come to life!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:40 am

Carrera cars come with extra guide flags, the red ones are shorter, but they are also not as deep. If it was me and I wanted a track with a very tight turn I would shorten up one of the spare black guide flags. I really don't see any advantage to running a very long guide flag unless perhaps you were going to run the car on a regular commercial 1/24th track.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby lancelotalove » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Does anyone with CNC experience use inkscape and is there a better software to just cut a slot in wood?
i still have to use Vcarve to code the drawing.
The slot is a standard 1/8 bit and i can adjust the depth.
lancelotalove
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard