Taping Tool Plans

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: Taping Tool Plans

Postby masmojo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:58 pm

Here's one I made a number of years back!

Came out pretty good, I liked having a handle! It has a very small footprint where it touches the track, because I was building 1/43 tracks at the time and it handles tight turns VERY well! ;)
Image Blast O Racing By Masmojo
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:33 pm

Mas, how do you hold that thing up straight and square to the track surface?
"Never trust a quote from the internet."
--Abraham Lincoln
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby masmojo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:13 am

waaytoomuchintothis wrote:Mas, how do you hold that thing up straight and square to the track surface?

It's easier then it looks and frequently I use two hands one near the base and one on the handle; there are a couple pins that hold it in the slot at just the point where the tape contacts the track. it really does not have to be perfectly level (although it doesn't hurt) as long as it sticks the tape pretty good. I am gonna come back and hit it with a burnishing roller anyway! :whistle:

I have another idea for a tape laying tool that I may build at a later time (Or maybe not, seeing as I already have one that works pretty good!?), because the problem I see with most tape laying tools is they are tall! So you have to lay the tape for underpasses by hand or before the track is put together. I was thinking of a tool that has the tape lying in a cavity on top of the tool, somewhat diagonally to limit width of the tool, but also height; therefore hopefully being able to go under overpasses and still fit within the track boundaries. Of course a tool of that type might not be as good for tight turns!?

If I was to build the above tool over I would cut down the distance from the spool to the tape head and the distance to the handle. I would probably change the handle design also so that it sits lower possibly even hanging over the tape spool. Lowering everything, bringing it all down and a having a fat handle on the top would make one handed operation much easier. :idea:
Image Blast O Racing By Masmojo
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard