Watkins Glen in Wood

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: Watkins Glen in Wood

Postby GPCruisr » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:16 am

Wow. This looks like it is going to be a great track. You've done a great job in showing the 'how-to' of a track build. I especially like the photos of the joints and the template jig you are using for the figuring where to drill the holes for the bolts. I'd like to build a track someday and your examples will come in handy. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks

Bear

"Don't poke the Bear"
GPCruisr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 73emgee » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:33 pm

Now that the center slot is routed around the entire track I can use the 1/8" flexible strip to rout the inner and outer lanes.

Routing the inner slot, notice that flexible strip is on left side of router. The paint along the edges of the track are because the underside of the track was painted earlier.

ImageWP_20170803_001 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

Routing the outer lane, keeping fence on left side of router.

ImageWP_20170803_005 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

Checking slot depth, I made a threaded tip for the depth gage so it would fit the slot.

ImageWP_20170803_014 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

ImageWP_20170803_015 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

ImageWP_20170803_013 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

Aerial shot of the track from the basement steps showing all lanes routed :music-rockout:

ImageWP_20170803_016 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

Is it wrong for a grown man to push a toy car around the track making race car sounds?

ImageWP_20170803_010 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />
73emgee

Postby Broman62 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:35 pm

"Is it wrong for a grown man to push a toy car around the track making race car sounds?"
Hell's NO...you wouldn't be right if ya didn't do it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very nice looking progress on your layout so far...glad to see your able to get back to it!!
HOME RACIN' GOO-GOO
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:49 am

73emgee wrote:Thanks David, been following your track builds for a while, they are a great resource for a first time builder like myself. Hope to experiment with your track painting method once I get all the lanes routed and braid gains completed. Having a realistic looking track surface is important to me. Really like the look achieved on the tracks built by SlotMods, any idea of the methods they use to paint their tracks?

Well, I wouldn't call my hack jobs inspirational, but thanks LOL. As for the surface, it is very easy and I really like the realistic surface as well. One thing to note: you'll have a hard time seeing the line rubber in. It does, but you have to kind of look at the track from an angle to see it as the paint really masks it well.

As for making car noises - any man building a track or playing with cars that says he doesn't do it is either a liar or an adult. I am neither.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby 73emgee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Finished routing the braid gains for all lanes using Slot Car Corner's router bit, highly recommended. I practiced on some scrap MDF first then spent time getting the gain depth right. Overall much easier then I thought it would be, seems like I spent more time setting the gain depth then routing.
ImageWP_20170805_004 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

ImageWP_20170806_001 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

ImageWP_20170805_009 by 73emgee, on Flickr" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

Next up will be adding risers to the table joists to set the scale track elevations to the actual track elevations from the survey drawings. It will be interesting to see if this can be accomplished by bending/flexing the MDF into submission.
Last edited by 73emgee on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
73emgee

Postby dreinecke » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:11 pm

That looks super sweet! Can't wait to see the elevations!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:12 am

Love all the progress and detail pics on what you are doing as you proceed through each step - they make for a great reference!
Looking forward to additional updates!
:handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby 73emgee » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:00 am

TuscoTodd wrote:Love all the progress and detail pics on what you are doing as you proceed through each step - they make for a great reference!
Looking forward to additional updates!
:handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks Tusco - hopefully it will help some new builder as much as this board has helped me.
73emgee

Re: Watkins Glen in Wood - Elevation Update

Postby 73emgee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:28 am

I've been working on an approach to scale down the elevation and gradient info from the survey plans that could be applied to the slot car track. According to the actual survey, the lowest point on the track is in the "Toe of the Boot" which is 937.34 feet. I designed the benchwork so that the height of the track surface would be 30.5 inches above the floor when resting on the 2x4 joists. This 30.5" height will represent the 937.34' level from the actual track, which will be the lowest point on the slot car track; the rest of the track will be elevated above the joists with risers.

I created an Excel worksheet to convert the actual survey track elevations at the beginning of all straights and turns. Using 937.34' (lowest point) as the base, the worksheet calculates the percentage of each elevation to this base to provide the height to raise the slot car track above the floor. The actual track elevations are given for both the right and left sides of the track, the track width is shown as 36 feet. With this info and some geometry the worksheet can calculate the camber degrees of the actual track across the 36' run. In order to replicate the actual camber degrees across the 15" width of the slot car track another calculation is performed to determine the rise of the high side of the track; this result is added to the low side height to provide the correct camber degrees for the 15" wide track. As an example, the start of the back straight (Straight 5 on the worksheet) shows an elevation of 1063 feet on the right side and 1066' on the left side. The low side track elevation is calculated as a percent of the base (937.34'=30.5") which is 33 1/4", the worksheet calculates to closest 1/8". It then calculates the camber of the actual track using the above elevations; in this case 5 degrees. The last calculation is to determine the rise for the slot car track to obtain a 5 degree camber over the 15" track width: in this case the rise is calculated at 1.312 inches. This rise is added to the low side height (33 1/4") to determine the high side distance above the floor or 34 1/2". I then mark the calculated high side and low side dimensions on each section of track, this give me the distance above the floor that the track will need to be elevated with risers. It's not really as complicated as it sounds since the worksheet does all the calculations.

This is one of the actual survey sheets showing a portion of the track profile. The numbers at the bottom are survey stations; each block represents 100' of track.

ImageWP_20170907_010 by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]

This is the Excel worksheet used to determine all the elevations for the slot car track.

ImageWP_20170907_013 by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]

These are pictures of the method I used to raise the track to the required level. The jack is from my MGB, the PVC pipe adaptor is used to locate the jack below the track. The wood yardstick is used to check height above the floor, and the angle cube is used to check gradient and camber.

ImageWP_20170814_007 by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]
ImageWP_20170812_002 by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]
ImageWP_20170814_001 by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]

This is a picture of a typical riser. The crossmember is bolted tightly to the track to keep the slots from distorting when bending. The risers are cut to approximate length for each elevation, once the proper elevation and camber are obtained by jacking up the track; they are attached to the 2x4 joists to secure the settings.
ImageWP_20170907_014 by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]
ImageWP_20170907_018 by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]
ImageWP_20170907_024 by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]

The following are pictures of the track with elevations added, if you are familiar with Watkins Glen you can see the that the slot car track is a good representation of the actual track elevations.

Going downhill into Turn 1 "The Ninety" at the end of the front straight.
ImageIMG_3940 (2) by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]

Climbing up through the "Esses"
ImageIMG_3977 (2) by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]

Going around the "Outer Loop" heading down towards the "Boot"
ImageIMG_3954 (2) by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]

Heading for the "Toe of the Boot"
ImageIMG_3957 (2) by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]

Climbing out of the "Toe of the Boot"
ImageIMG_3958 (2) by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]

Around the "Heel of the Boot"
ImageIMG_3962 (2) by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]

Onto the "Front Straight"
ImageIMG_3975 (2) by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]

Overall track
ImageIMG_4004 (2) by
73emgee, on Flickr[/img]
ImageIMG_4007 (2) by 73emgee, on Flickr[/img]

Next step will be filling holes and preparing track surface for painting.
Last edited by 73emgee on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73emgee

Postby SpeedyNH » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:19 pm

now That is seriously cool.
well done.
speedy
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:13 pm

This is seriously now one of my favorite tracks! Well done!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby bigman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:39 am

:text-bravo: :text-coolphotos: WOW WOW WOW :text-coolphotos: :text-bravo:
Great job all around, love the shot of the cars "Climbing up through the "Esses" :auto-driving: :auto-driving: :auto-driving:
:clap: :clap: Outstanding job of how to build a killer race track. :clap: :clap:
The time you spent doing the elevations really paid off :o
It looks like a lot of fun doing a outstanding build, you should be real pleased with your hard work :music-rockout:
I can see hours and hours of fun when you getter done. :auto-driving: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-driving: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-driving:
I can't thank you enough for all your posts / writing and photos, please keep posting :text-thankyouyellow:
your Incredible Work, well done that's for sure. :music-rockout:

bigman :flags-waveusa: BIG Fan :text-thankyouyellow:
bigman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:02 am

Very nice. This will be a great track to drive
Cheers
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 73emgee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:01 am

BARC 1 wrote:Very nice. This will be a great track to drive

I hope so, I will be very disappointed if it drives like a turd. :pray:
73emgee

Postby 73emgee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 am

bigman wrote:I can't thank you enough for all your posts / writing and photos, please keep posting :text-thankyouyellow:
your Incredible Work, well done that's for sure. :music-rockout:

bigman :flags-waveusa: BIG Fan :text-thankyouyellow:

Thanks for all the support Bigman
73emgee

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard