[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Noyo Ridge - Wood / SSD Hybrid !

Noyo Ridge - Wood / SSD Hybrid !

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Noyo Ridge - Wood / SSD Hybrid !

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue May 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Last edited by Nor Cal Mike on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Wood / SSD Hybrid Track

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue May 17, 2016 6:19 pm

It's Spring and tracks are known to grow this time of year :)

Very interesting project track. With your skills, this should be one to follow. This might be just what other digital racers have been looking for.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby docdoom » Tue May 17, 2016 6:22 pm

good luck. been thinking about doing the same thing with my track. just don't have the time for such a project. i do believe that Ade did the same thing with his Eastlands Park Routed Digital.
docdoom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue May 17, 2016 7:03 pm

Good luck Mike, a routed digital track was my vision when I got back into slots 10 years ago. I built Shepherd Speedway as a 2 lane oval test track that was meant to give way to a larger oval with lane change switches for passing. But,my grandson and I got distracted running round robin tournament style races it was 8 years before I built a second track, a routed road course I now use for simulated multi-car races.

I'm going to follow your build closely, especially to see how you incorporate lane change switches and where you put them. I thought about a lot of implementation ideas, from diode activated ones as Scalextric uses, to computer or self activated ones where if two cars entered a lane change area close together the trailing car would be switched to a passing lane then the switch would return to it's default 'pass thru' position.

Are you thinking of embedding the SSD switch sections in wood, or creating your own switches like the AC2Car guys use?

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby buspor63 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:14 pm

This will be a great build. Two tips I have, #1 leave enough space after a turn and before the switch sensor for the car to settle down, #2 lengthen the lane transition areas so the cars can take them faster. I used Carrera, which are longer than Scaley I believe, and lengthened them for that reason. I also incorporated my own curved lane changer. If I'm not mistaken, Scaley rails sit more flush to the surface than Carrera, that may make your modifications easier. With Carrera, I removed the rails and filled the voids with Bondo so that section would not be higher than the MDF.

My Carrera section for reference.

buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue May 17, 2016 8:17 pm

Current thinking it to imbed cut down digi pieces but leaving the functional bits in place. I would lit to stretch the transitions out as Buspor suggests. I'll probably insert the whole PB intact I have a lot of CLC's, XLC's and already cut up pieces of the same that came in the two lots of track that I got from members here last year. To be truthful, I haven't looked at the cut up bits that I have to see if I can figure them out. I would like to run a racing line through the corkscrew with a couple of CLC exits to allow a wide pass but we will see. I don't want to get in over my head and make a big mess.

I don't plan to build AC2 style LC's although I do have four of them built that I built years ago for an AC2car oval that I experimented with. I may consider using a couple of those LC's to create a pit entry if I do one. I don't want to spend any more money on Scaley plastic track to get their store bought pit lane. But right now I don't have much flat ground for a pit lane in the design that I have on paper. When I get the real boards laid out on saw horses, I may see something that I can't see in scale. I do my best design work when I put pencil on the actual board I want to cut out.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:09 pm

I used a standard Carrera lane change for my pit in and just installed the fuel sensor and electronics in the track. My pit out is just two blended slots.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu May 19, 2016 7:56 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri May 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Noyo Ridge Wood / SSD Hybrid

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:54 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Noyo Ridge - Wood / SSD Hybrid

Postby DrumPhil » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:21 am

Your table structure looks great - much more ambitious design than my simple 2x4 tables.

Regarding your track layout, I understand wanting to incorporate an oval. You gotta do what feels best. But it sure is a huge difference to be able to incorporate elevation changes in a layout. In my opinion it makes the driving experience exponentially more interesting over a flat track.

But do whatever makes the most sense for your goals.
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:19 am

Very slick design that makes for easy adjustments to elevation! Pretty darn slick!
Thank you for the picture of the MDO - I hadn't seen that before and might make for an interesting alternative to MDF! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:23 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:46 pm

Last edited by Nor Cal Mike on Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:09 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard