[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Noyo Ridge - Wood / SSD Hybrid !

Noyo Ridge - Wood / SSD Hybrid !

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: Noyo Ridge - Wood / SSD Hybrid - Routing!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:42 pm

Last edited by Nor Cal Mike on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Noyo Ridge - Wood / SSD Hybrid - Elevations!

Postby ourwayband » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:32 am

Very interesting build.You are coming along well with it..
Looks like it will be fun to run on..
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:42 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:51 am

As far as wanting some magnetic effect around the lane changes, how about imbeding some welding rod below the copper tape?
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:52 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:25 am

I think it was only a few months ago when you started experimenting with a digital track. I think it says a lot about the appeal of digital racing that you have embraced it so completely in such a short time. Your track building skills are quite impressive. It looks like a very fun track to drive.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:24 am

Thank you Czar for the compliments. I have been at this SSD thing for just over a year. Lane changing model car racing has been an interest far longer though. I dabbled in AC2car about 10 years ago. About the same time I bought two Artin Digipro sets when they were on fire sale at Walmart. I have even tried Wes Rayner's magsteer system three years ago and now SSD. I think the magsteer system is the coolest of the lot I but it needs some serious investment money put in to improve the car quality IMHO.

I have spent the last couple of days over on the SFI website asking questions and researching the wealth of information on SSD that it contains. The consensus that I got is that the SSD solenoids are weak and that Peco model train switching solenoids are compatible with the SSD electrical system and much better to use. I am going to try the SSD stuff first and switch later if necessary. I think it is prudent to install only enough LC's in the easiest places to get a bare minimum of lane switching first and expand out from there. I have only been using braid on my tracks for several years but for this one I will use copper tape since it is cheap and easy to cut into If I want to add or modify LC's. I have a free afternoon coming up so I might even be able to begin the slot routing.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:36 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:04 pm

Looking good Mike! Can't wait to see this thing run!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:52 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Noyo Ridge - Wood / SSD Hybrid - Bondo Madness!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:18 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Noyo Ridge - Wood / SSD Hybrid !

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:57 am

I've begun thinking of the next steps beyond the primary slot routing. There are two things currently on my mind. First is a uniform routing jig for routing out the pockets for installing the LC's. The second is installing a metal rail along side the slot to provide magnetic attraction to allow higher speeds for ghost cars. I'll post more on the jig ideas later.

For the metal rails, I did a little research on wood HO tracks. I saw a tutorial about using a 1/16" router bit to cut a shallow slot for insertion of common rebar tie wire. I would route and insert this wire directly under the copper tape. I think I can get by with only a single rail per slot, located on the outboard side of each slot and only through the curvy sections. By installing it only on the outboard side of the slots the interior between the slots will remain clear to install crossing slots anywhere I choose to put an LC.

I know there are some HO track builders around here. If you have any tips on installing wire rails, please do chime in.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Noyo Ridge - Wood / SSD Hybrid Half Way!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:09 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:52 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:03 am

Last edited by Nor Cal Mike on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard