[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Indoor/outdoor routed track

Indoor/outdoor routed track

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Indoor/outdoor routed track

Postby slothead » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:43 pm

During the summer months when I'm off work (college faculty) I like spending as much time as possible on the deck we built off the back of the barn for a wedding in 2014. Between the deck, patio, grill, smoker, firepit, outdoor lights & speakers, etc., it's my ideal hangout space. And now I'm thinking about creating a portable routed oval on a 4'x8' sheet or table to add to the fun.

Anyone have thoughts about an indoor/outdoor track that could inadvertently be exposed to moisture? If sealing MDF on all sides might not be good enough, what about covering it with vinyl sheeting (flooring?) and routing through that, or going with another material? Anyone routed a vinyl or plastic surface?

Anyone have ideas about a waterproof or water resistant material that is route-able and that copper tape would adhere too?

Thanks for any thoughts you have to share.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Indoor/outdoor routed track

Postby k0z0oo1 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:45 pm

I know of a routed PVC track. I'll look into more information about it if you like. I would think if you use braid it would be OK to get wet...

My concern with copper tape it the changing expansion and contraction with sunlight/shade and temp changes.
k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:59 pm

I have been running a routed 4'x16' over for 9 years. Or was it 8 years. What ever.
For the first 6 months I was allowed to keep in the living room. Luckily the living room is 22 feet long. It make one heck of a conversation piece. Then I had to move it to the family room, which is 25 feet long. Then Christmas came.
From that time until now it has been on my car port. Rain, Snow, Sleet, Hail, what ever mother nature threw at it.
Only the racing surface is painted with wall paint. The only problem I had was at a race in a garden which was located 30 feet form the Chesapeake Bay. One of the terminals corroded. A quick trip to Radio Shack and never another problem.
If I build a track myself, I will paint both sides just to be safe. Having stripped all the copper tape once was enough for me.
Good luck. The build of my track is somewhere in the archives. Search Sting Ray Racing.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mayberryman » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:15 pm

Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks guys - keep the thoughts and comments coming.

My inside oval now 10 years old, and road course built in 2014 use copper tape and I love it. When I used to race at a commercial track I remember times the track was closed because the braid had lifted, and the owner would be gluing it back down with rubber cement. But I'm willing to consider it if it's the right thing to do.

The deck is beside a huge Maple tree and is in almost constant shade once the leaves are out. No need for an awning or umbrella at all, in fact even when it rains you can linger on the deck for quite awhile before getting wet. Here in central Maine the summers are beautiful and mild, with highs in the mid 80's most of the time and maybe a week of mid to high 90's in early August.

As an experiment I poured water on a small piece of Masonite and see no signs of damage once it dried. I thought the backside might bubble up like MDF but nothing so far, and the slick surface didn't even seem to absorb any water. Since I'm only looking for something that can survive a quick teardown or being under a tarp during a sudden shower this might work with the bottom and sides sealed. I'll do the whole thing with a sealant if it won't do more harm than good.

Also, I've heard about people getting their sectional tracks CNC routed. Anyone know more about that option and if it can also be used for the gains needed for installing braid?

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Johnnyfly41 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:08 am

My three lane routed MDF road course was completely destroyed by the water that rained on it after a house fire. By the time we could go into the house, it had sagged like wet pasta between every support. I guess it might have made a great rally course. If you want a outdoor track, I would strive to find a solution in some sort of plastic sheeting, seek out a plastics distributor. A lot of those things are pricey, micarta, UHMW etc.
Johnnyfly41

Postby RichD » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:21 am

If it was me I would make an outdoor track out of Sintra, which is expanded PVC. Today most aftermarket HO tracks are made of Sintra, Brad Bowman makes those and he also does 1/32nd tracks. MDF is OK for an outdoor track but you had better paint every surface, including the slots.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DixonJohn » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 pm

There is a water proof MDF board called EXTEARA(Thats the brand we used) available at commercial cabinet supply shops. The stuff is 100 percent water proof. It is a bit on the pricey side. The stuff works the same as regular MDF. Call around to some local cabinet shops and they can probably hook you up with some
DixonJohn
"The Mayor"

Postby slothead » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:37 pm

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:58 pm

I have an oval that is used in the way you want. It is made of MDO which is a high grade plywood with a composite wood outer veneer. It is intended for signs. It has spent a lot of time out doors under a tarp and is doing pretty well. Besides wood, you have to think of what kind of electrical rails that you want to run. I don't think copper tape is up to the task if it is going to get moisture. I have braid on my track and it is holding up well.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:11 pm

I have seen a display of the waterproof MDF. The store had some in a glass bowl full of water. I pulled it out to check it out first hand and it had no water damage or absorption at all. That would be my choice.

For the table/cart have you ever see the 2 sided game tables? The top is attached to the base in the center on booth ends. You pull a pin on each end and pivot the table to the other side. You could do the same with a place for the pins at 90 degrees to hold it in the upright position.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Greenjo2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:52 pm

Greenjo2

Postby buspor63 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:49 pm

I believe nor cal mikes track also has slots cut all the way through so any water would just drain off.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:37 am

Wood track is fun, but what about building a Carrera track, its tough enough to handle the weather
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby frank9129 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:36 pm

Once you go wood, you never go back. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard