[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Thinking Hard About Going Wood

Thinking Hard About Going Wood

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Thinking Hard About Going Wood

Postby trakdaddy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:58 pm

I haven't run any of my cars (I have about 250 cars in my collection of different types, most are non mag) in the past 2 years but now I am back! I have a decent 62' 2 lane Scaley Sport track with scenery but the track has some rust (that's the problem with having your track in the garage) and I have always liked the wood tracks that I have seen posted so why not now.

The last time I was around there was a guy I think his name was Luff?? had a video and other supplies available to purchase for creating a wood track but I didn't see any of the previous posts. Does anyone know if he is still around? Any advice on getting started will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Trakdaddy

I also have a 4 lane Scaley oval track that will be staying around for now. I love that left hand turn.
trakdaddy

Re: Thinking Hard About Going Wood

Postby SlotCarCorner » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:52 pm

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby Czar » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:27 am

Check out this article. Plastic track can rival driving on a wooden track.

Reviews/ReviewArchives/CZAR/Gneissring%20sixth%20final.pdf
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:33 am

mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:03 pm

If you have the space for a permanent track wood is the way to go. It is so smooth and the different radius curves and and lane spacing is near as close to infinity as you have space for. I have a wood track and a Scaley digital plastic track and can say that the driving quality between the two is huge. You can follow the lead of the many folks who have posted here or buy Luff's video and other handy stuff if you want. Luff's lexan strip router guide is really cool and his tape laying fixture for laying copper tape is the cat's meow. But it really isn't necessary. I've built 6 tracks without them.

It's been alluded to previously but I suggest you stick with a good quality copper foil tape on your first track. It'll get you racing quicker. And because it is simple and inexpensive, you will be able to go back to fill and reroute a section that isn't quite right and patch in a new section of tape to power it up. Use a quality router bit and by all means, good dust control is your friend.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:40 pm

Wood is sooooo nice. It has been said that it is smooth and so on. That is all true, but that is not what I think is the best thing about a wood track. The pest part is that it can be whatever you want it to be. You are the designer not someone that has the general customer in mind. We as people don't come from a set of common molds, so why should our slot car tracks?

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. They can be fixed. Follow your hart and do what you feel is right to you. This is a great place to ask the questions that will ensure you avoid possible pit falls. However the answer may not always be right for you. I was told that I should build my track lower than I did. Well, I was told that is what people do. That is not what I did and have not regretted it one second. Many questioned the radius of my tight turn. I would have been one of the people that was not sure about it, but it was what I had in my head and it wanted out. In the end I have been really happy with the turn that we all questioned. It is indeed a hard turn to get around, but it makes the track challenging. One would have thought that the inside lane would be way slower then the other lanes as it is such a tight turn. It is the place that you can make up a ton of ground when done right. It is easy to over drive the turn, but it is so much shorter in distance than the other lanes that you go in behind a car and roll out in front it.

I think you will find that most of the people that have gone the way of a routed track will keep going that way. Nothing wrong with plastic track at all. That is how this hobby gained it's popularity for home racing. Whatever you decide in the end, good luck with it and have fun.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:32 pm

TD...once you go wood...your in for good!!! ...once you get that first lane tapped down and you run around the house looking for a 9V battery to test it and you realize you can't find one so you take it from the smoke detector and then set that car down and touch those wires to the battery and that car takes off(whew)...everything you have put into it at that point is most exhilarating and you do your happy dance :banana-dance: :banana-dance: !!!!

Good luck on the build and welcome back!!!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:50 am

I thought we were going to keep that a secret between us wood guys. Now that you have let the cat out of the bag can we admit to pushing the cars around the track as soon as the first slot is routed? Making motor sounds while doing it is optional, but you know most of us do it. Heck I had the battery taped to a car and hooked up with jumper wires as soon as the first slot was done. Sawdust and all. I just let her rip.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:22 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby bamdogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:17 pm

Go wood for sure! I'm building my first wood track as we speak.

I'm learning from my mistakes, but at the end it'll be a awesome experience.
bamdogg

Postby dreinecke » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:52 pm

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby trakdaddy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:36 pm

Hey guys thanks for all the info and advice I really appreciate it. I am on a staycation in a couple of weeks and think I will get started on the prep work to start that wood track, which will include dismantling my current Scaley Sport track. After several photos to show where the dream began of course.

What about braid vs. copper tape. I think I saw a recent photo of Harry laying braid on an oval and I always admire his work.

Thanks,
TD
trakdaddy

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:46 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby midmoslts » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:34 am

I'm with Harry. Braid is the way to go, but.....
It cost more.
Requires more prep and work.
Will take longer to complete.
If you decide to make changes after the track is running it will be added expense and you may need to fill in some of the gains you have routed.

A year ago I started building my first track and went with braid from the word go. I have never regretted the decision but, I don't feel my choice is what it right for everyone.

With all of that out in the open. If you go with braid, SCC has the tools to make the job go smooth. Pre taped braid, gain router bit (this is almost a must have), braid roller. They have it all and it is all top quality stuff.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby trakdaddy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:05 pm

OK I now have a revised plan. Once I clear the garage I will remove my Scaley Sport track and start working on the new wood road course with copper tape. Thanks for the info Harry. Then I will move on to the oval track and use braid. I only have so much room so there shouldn't be any changes needed there. After I run the road course for a couple of years and I am satisfied with it I can lay braid on it. Pictures of the process coming soon.

Thanks,
TD
trakdaddy

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard