[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Going the way of the wood

Going the way of the wood

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: Going the way of the wood

Postby midmoslts » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:29 pm

I went with 4" lane spacing on my track thinking it would be plenty, but I wish I had gone 4-1/4" or 4-1/2". I have found that I really prefer the 1/24 scale cars and they race well on the 4", but could use some more room. You really have to watch out going into a turn if you are on the out side. If you are side by side and stay side by side it's all good. If the guy on the inside gets a better run through the corner than you may get taken out. I'm not saying you should go with more lane spacing. I'm just letting you know what to expect.

Harry's water damaged track was 2-3/4" I'm pretty sure and he has decided to go with 4" for the new track. Will he like it better in the end? Hard to say, but I hope to find out for myself.

Keep us posted and enjoy the building of your new track. I'm sure it is something you will be proud of when it is done.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:20 pm

Glad it arrived safe. Your very welcome.

My old lane spacing was 3 1/2 and now at 4 it's perfect for the bigger cars. We just ran some bigger cars last night and had a ball with much less unwanted offs due to tangling. I like having the challenge of close racing, so the 4 is the sweet spot for me.

Here is a tip: Stick with 1/25 scale models. You may not think so, but the small difference in size is a BIG difference on the track. Plus the most of the wheels & tires just look better on 1/25th.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:43 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bamdogg » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:20 pm

To be honest I never heard of 1/25 scale before I came on here, thanks for the reference photos!

Progress wise I managed to get everything laid out today and managed route the two straights. The front stretch is definitely going to need some work/sponsorship from durhams. However the back stretch pretty much went without a hitch, maybe one little touch up spot.

Going to try and get a scrap piece of lexan from work for a final corner jig and maybe get the corners done in the next day or so.
bamdogg

Postby bamdogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:15 pm

Just a quick update for today. Radius runs are completed, slightly messed up on my 2nd turn not using my noggin (lack of sleep/too much quirk will do that), nothing that a little putty won't fix.

Only routing left are what needs to be fixed with the putty. Also have to rout the last 10 inches that joins the straight with the radius. Completed one lane of that, just needs a little sanding.

Hopefully I can very all of that done by Thursday, just have to sand the slots lightly and should be ready for paint on the weekend.
bamdogg

Postby midmoslts » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:41 am

Keep up the hard work. It will pay off in the end. Nothing like owning a track that is one of a kind. You will feel pride looking over your shoulder every time a car crosses the finish line.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bamdogg » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:35 pm

bamdogg

Postby bamdogg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:16 pm

Must've had the wrong link before in the above vid :doh:

Anyway, update for today, got the first coat of primer down and letting it soak into the track as we speak. Going with a color called Elegant Charcoal for my final coats, just a shade lighter than what I originally was going to for, but like it even better.

Hoping maybe next week I'll order tape and go from there. Real life obligations are taking up a lot of time and not moving along as quick as I would like, but its getting there.
bamdogg

Previous

Return to The Lumber Yard