Timing Hardware Question

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Timing Hardware Question

Postby Stingray Racing » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:34 pm

I am using a dead strip on my routed track and Race Coordinator for timing software. Currently my track is connected to my old laptop with a serial port connection. Since it is very hard to find old working computers with serial ports I would like to have the option of using the USB port when my current computer dies. Does anyone know of an adapter that will bridge between my serial cable and the USB port on a laptop? I know from others that a simple adapter from serial to USB will not generally work. I know someone out there must make a plug and play magic box that will do this. Anyone know where I might purchase such a device? Any help is greatly appreciated. I would like to have something that is turn key since I am a little electrically challenged.

Rocky
Stingray Racing

Re: Timing Hardware Question

Postby Giddyup » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:14 pm

Yes, you can buy serial to USB adapters, I was in the same boat as you when my old computer died. I think I paid about 10$ for my adapter, at The Source aka Radio Shack. Just google "serial to usb adapter" I'm sure you'll find a local source.
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Stingray Racing » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:09 am

Thanks for the response Giddyup! However, I must have been having a senior moment when I said it was a serial port. I am actually looking for a parallel port adapter to USB. I am not sure if a straight adapter will work; I think additional electronics need to be involved for the computer to recognize it....at least that is what I have heard.
Stingray Racing

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:52 am

Rocky, what hardware are you using? Trackmate or home made? I know you said RC for software, just trying to help.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Stingray Racing » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:15 am

Thanks Harry, I am using homemade with a dead strip and a relay for track calls. It works well with RC and I have no complaints. I just see my old laptop with the parallel port going south at some point in time.
Stingray Racing

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:44 am

Can an old desktop work for you? I know I can still find them at Salvation Army/Yard Sales/Flea Markets.

I'll keep an eye out for you, maybe get lucky.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Stingray Racing » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks again Harry. Since my track is portable I am trying to stay with a laptop for timing for ease of transporting. I have several old laptops that I can use if I can get the system to work with the USB port. One way or another I will get it working. Thanks again.

Rocky
Stingray Racing

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:07 pm

Rocky, I have a stockpile of old computers (and monitors), that you can pick anything you want from. None of them are laptops, because laptops tend to be useless when used up, but these desktops are all stored in working, if old-fashioned, condition.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Stingray Racing » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:11 am

Thanks Rob for the offer! I will keep that in mind for future reference.
Stingray Racing

Postby RichD » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:58 am

I have never head of anyone using a serial to USB adapter to connect sensors directly to a computer. If anyone out there has done that it would be nice if they would post something. The latest version of the Trackmate interface has a USB output, so you could use one of those. Both Ultimate Racer and Race Coordinator work with Trackmate hardware. A less expensive alternative would be to use a Phidget or Arduino board. Instructions for connecting an Arduino board are included with Race Coordinator. Since you are using dead strips you would have to be careful, the Trackmate unit with a dead strip option might be your best bet. I am not certain if special precautions need to be taken with a Phidget or Arduino board.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard