[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Put on your thinking hats

Put on your thinking hats

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Put on your thinking hats

Postby chappy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Ok boys and girls.
I am considering taking up my routed 2 lane test track to replace it with something different.
Still routed.
I have 17 feet in length and 5 foot 6 inches in width. I should mention the back will be against the wall 17 feet.
So I am after ideas.
They say 2 heads are better than 1 , so we should do alright here.
I am not resticting my thinking to any specific style so let the ideas roll.
If your idea gets selected, You will get an honorable mention in the post when its done :laughing-rolling:
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Re: Put on your thinking hats

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:37 pm

Do you have reason to go more than 2 lanes?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Alaskaracer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:31 pm

I have had two different three laners and my next track will be a two laner, I hardly ever had three people to race

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alaskaracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:00 pm

I like the three lanes spaced for 1/32 racing - you can then use the outermost two lanes for 1/24 racing or for 'no contact' 1/32 racing as needed.

The middle lane would be ideal for test, tune, and time trial single car running.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby chappy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:27 pm

It is a test track, and in my basement where I usually run alone.
So 3 lanes is not a necessity. Although nice.
I have the 3 laner in the garage. For race days.
As for 1/24 scale , I dont normally run any but could use a single lane for that if needed. I would like about 3 3/4 inches between lanes for the occassional wider cars.
Some scenery to add interest, but track layout is wide open.
Oh yes, this gets more use than my garage track in the winter as it is already heated and the garage track needs to have the heat turned on about an hour ahead of time.
Thanks
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:46 pm

Bob, Are you building it for testing cars? Or are you testing track designs?
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SpeedyNH » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:48 pm

SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Mike I will be using it to test cars. It will be made just like our other tracks, MDF with Latex paint, and copper tape. It is really useful when all things remain constant so things like track surface are important.
Layout though is wide open. I just want to see what the best layout in the space allotted is.
And right now I have run out of ideas.
So I am a clean slate for a new one. I seem to recall you had an interesting layout you showed recently.
As I say 99 percent of the time I run it alone.
Thanks
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:43 pm

I am a big fan of sweepers. Long fast ones that can be run flat out. They will tell you a lot about a car because you can observe it in a slide for a long time. You can replace a straight with them but they take up more space. Since you only have 5 1/2 ft. in width, you would probably have to have an overpass to do one. After that I would say you would want a chicane of some sort to help you figure out how your car reacts when the weight center shifts from side to side. That's my $0.02.

P.S. Was it the plastic SSD track that you saw recently or my wood track?
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Id do a long straight in back against the wall. And some various curves on the outside. Thats the way my old road course was
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby dreinecke » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:01 pm

Bob - have you thought about how to reach the 5 1/2 feet to the back wall? Maintenance and cleaning could be tricky not to mention deslots.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:26 pm

First question is whether you want a crossover (or several) or not. Then the chicane question. Then if you want sweepers or hairpins. A series of straights with u-turns at the end is punch and brake style driving vs esses which are all about smooth driving. There are lots of options for this amount of space, but it's about what you want....max lap length (more curves and doubling back) vs sweepers and esses (the stretched figure 8) and other options.
Personally, mine is 4 x 16 with the long straight on one side, and driving curve section on the back side with a couple hairpins to even out the lanes.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:12 am

I have a two lane track which I plan to add a removable cross-over piece - one big lane for when I am running - swap the piece out and two lanes when a mate comes over.

You could do a lot with the space I always fancied this track
http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/porta ... 102&page=6
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:18 am

Bob, I know you have seen this track, but you might look at it again. I have had the opportunity to run this, and it is Deceptively simple looking, yet quite challenging. It has all the features one would want, including off camber corners and elevation changes. It has three distinctly different approaches on the back stretch, that offer a unique tuning advantage for all types of cars. It could be built using two lanes, or shamelessly copied as is. The size would fit nicely into the area you have also. Just a thought.
PitRow/Midmo/buildingmidmo.htm

BobT
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby chappy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:39 am

Some great ideas guys.
Mike i thought it was your wood track i was looking at.
Game thatnis what I was thinking of too.
Chappyman I was just going for 2 lanes , no, x overs.
Doc I currently use a reach stick and it works for getting to the back.
David I remember seeing that one now that you reminded me.
Bob that one looks like it has promise, simple yet all the components required to test properly.
Thanks lads looks like we are getting somewhere
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard