Put on your thinking hats

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: Put on your thinking hats

Postby Audi1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:09 am

If it's really only a test track and you have another 3 lane track already, then why do you need more than one lane? You'll get the most action; in terms of layout, with a one-laner. Have a look at John Warren's (munter) "Anaconda" track; it's a nice one-laner.

On a test track I would go for as many track variables as I could get: a medium-sized straight to top end, a sweeper, as already mentioned, for track holding power (a big sweeper is almost like a skid pad in that respect), a chicane, an increasing radius turn, a decreasing radium turn, a hairpin, a hill, a drop, etc. All the elements that your car is apt to encounter in a racing situation. A one laner will give you the most track space in your 17'x6' area.

Now, if the 3 laner is only raceable during certain times of the year and you want to be able to race all year round, then that's a reason to go with a 2 laner.

Anyway, have fun with it!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:42 am

Allan that is a good thought , the big 3 laner is always available, just a matter of turning on the heat.
I could get a lot of track with different curves and gradients in a single lane.
Worst case scenario for company would be time trials and thats not a bad thing either.
I have seen Johns track , and it looks quite good.
Cheers
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:48 am

If you want to retain the two lane option, you can close your lane spacing down to 2 3/4" and still have the ability to pass with all 1/32 cars except open wheelers. This is common place on the tracks that the AC2car folks build. http://ac2car.org/?page_id=31 Keep your inside gutter to a minimum 1 1/2" and save the extra space to keep your outside aprons to 5" will make your roadways only 9 1/4" in the curves with plenty of sliding room. You can shrink it down even further on the straights to about 2" on the aprons (total 4") and 2 3/4" spacing for a total 6 3/4" road width.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby hillbilly » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:42 am

Bob sounds like a cool track, I don't know if you got a plan for getting the copper tape on the 17 foot back stretch, but you might want to get one. That was a big challenge on my track, your going to be 5 1/2 feet away, So you are going to be up on the track working on it, maybe you are more mobile than me. Terry
hillbilly

Postby chappy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:55 am

:laughing-rolling: Hi Terry, I'm not so, sure about the mobility , but I dont have a ceiling in the dungeon, so I have hand straps to support my self for track work. And a reach stick for the cars.

The copper tape I currently have down has been there for 5 yrs with no problems.
However the short inner straight going into a tight radius curve has had a few issues.
Fortunately it is reachable.
I have even been able to place scenery using the reach stick.

I do like the Midmo design, but a single lane gives more opportunity for different curves etc, and more track space too.

Once done I will post some pics, but I am a slow worker.
I hate the thought of the consteuction period where I wont have anything to run down there lol.
I will put up an Artin track for temporary relief, which will eventually be another track in itself.
Thanks
Bob
Last edited by chappy on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:08 am

Sir, I expect to see a video of this project. :handgestures-thumbup:
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:06 pm

Snap eh Mike.
I will be sure to document the build lol.
Still mulling over ideas and things I may incorporate into the build.
I was looking at replaceable sections which could change track configuration, or make a 2 lane into one big lane with a x over.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:41 pm

Bob, That is almost the same size I am planning, but it will be my only track. Since a lot of proxies are oval based, I am planning a three lane oval with the lanes in a 12 inch space around the outside so we can run 1/24 if we want to. On the front straight, there will be a lift out section that can be replaced with a turn out/turn in section to access a road course in the infield. The lanes will be about 3" wide in there, with perhaps a squeezed turn or two if needed to fit it in. Once I have finalized the design I will post it.

Cheers'

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:03 pm

Thanks Keith, that sounds like a great idea.
I'll be interested to see your design.
I am shamelessly going to steal something from someone, and perhaps several ideas.
Although I call it a test track , I still want it to be fun and have scenery.
It sounds like you are planning something similar to Daytona with the infield available.
I was in Florida a couple, of years ago and went to The Race Place just north of Daytona.
The owner , a really nice guy, had a track similar to what you are talking about, but instead of changing a track section he had wedge shaped pieces that could be changed to either bypass the infield or utilize the infield. I was impressed with the simplicity of it.
Thanks
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby jcis4me » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Bob
This one is 4X16 securely attatched to the wall. The back str8 is just under 13 feet, and I am using 3 foot radius turns on each end with a couple of nasty 90 degree turns in the middle, once I got used to the 90's it is a fun runner.
I agree with you on the two lanes bcuz I only run by my self most of the time.
As for taping the back str8 I climbed on the table and taped both lanes at the same time and it only took 10 minutes.
With a 5 foot plus width you could go with a 4 plus foot turns at each end and then some wild road course turns closest to you to marshall as the cars come off.
:twocents-mytwocents:
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:14 pm

Thanks Marty, like the Pics too.
Agree dont really want deslots on the back, therefore the straight.
So many considerations.
Your track is very similar to the current one I have , except the back is elevated about 4 inches.
Thanks
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby chappy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:33 am

Ok made an indecisive decision.
The routed is coming up, and I will use my Artin track to lay down some different layouts.
That way I can see , yes I am a visualizer lol.
And try out different layouts for a bit before I get the router spinning.
I have seen some very interesting designs , thanks lads.
Now to see if I can come up with something that incorporates an oval OH YEAH, and a road course.
I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks again for the ideas
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby RazorJon » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:53 am

good luck and take lots of pictures, :music-rockout:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Previous

Return to The Lumber Yard