[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - It's Time; I Hope

It's Time; I Hope

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

It's Time; I Hope

Postby bookie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:37 am

Last edited by bookie on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
bookie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: It's Time; I Hope

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:51 am

Rick,
Good on you for getting started. I had a track similar to this in Artin plastic years ago. It's one of the decent L shaped layouts. The thing to remember about L shaped layouts (when the long sides are against the walls) is that the driver stations have to be on the 6 ft end of the L....otherwise someone is always standing in the way of a driver seeing their car in a corner. I had 4 lanes and learned this the hard way racing against my boys.

Have you considered the "triangle" space and putting table across the ends of the L? It gives you more room to work and drivers across there can see the whole track. Might make marshalling more challenging but that depends on the layout........

Whatever you choose, the important thing is build it and race!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:56 am

Love the design Rick.
It has a nice flow to it.
As for timing of the build on a wooden track, I find they are never completely done anyway.
I am still adding scenic touches or changing things, so time is a good thing.
As for tools , I have used tool rentals in the past if it is a one time use.
Keep us posted , as it progresses.
Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby TuscoTodd » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:42 pm

That looks like a fun layout!
Looking forward to updates as you progress! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Jabbatee » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:52 pm

Hey Rick,

I like your layout...looks like it will be fun!

Be sure to post your progress as we all like watching new builds come to life!

Joe
Jabbatee

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:23 pm

Yeah this is exciting....new track coming :banana-dance:
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:02 pm

Rick -good to see you back to playing with small cars soon!

If I may, and I may be the lone dissenter here...but, that's not an uncommon position for me.

The track design is great! Nice flow and space for scenery as well.

But...you mention you're on a budget that is fixed. May I suggest something? Use copper tape. Why? Your track isn't in a garage - it is in a heated/cooled bedroom so there should be minimal issues. It will be so much cheaper than braid. Please don't mis-understand me - braid is fabulous, but if it isn't needed due to garage temps, I'd go tape for cost. That'll allow you to pick up the power supply Harry just reviewed for $42 and some PM controllers at $55 each.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby bookie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:30 am

Dave I appreciate your suggestions, but when I started planning this thing I was still employed and had squirreled some funds away for the basics. While it would be great to have this up and going, I realize this one is going to take some time and right now for me, that's part of the enjoyment. Heck, I currently only have one car to run :lol:
Thanks to everyone else offering support and suggestions. I listen to all because I don't want to make the mistakes I made on my first wood track.
bookie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bookie » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:56 am

It's been awhile since I updated this post. The delay was out of my hands, well a lot of it was. Again because of finances it will be a slow go. I tried to get a part time job, but I guess being 64 and bald no one wants to hire. I even had interviews at Lowes and Home Depot, but never heard back. Well back to the track I listed a tentative schedule. Hope to start on the tables Monday
I'm currently a tad out of sequence, but will add a pic or two later when I find my camera

Track Layout Developed Done
Build Tables
Route Track Done
Paint Track 1/2 Done
Braid
Wire
Get Power & Controllers
Buy a Car
Landscape if any
bookie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:18 am

To have the track routed already is good progress! Nice layout.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bookie » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:24 am

bookie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:00 pm

Looking good Rick.
It may be slow going, but it is going right imho.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby seal666 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Rick, your doing one heck of a great job. Im also on a tight retirement budget, so my layout is progressing slowly. It does give me the time to make tight track connections and neat wiring. Im also narrowing my car focus and am thinning the herd a bit. What style of cars you plan on running? Would be happy to ship one of my extras, if you dont mind a car from north of the mason dixon line. Right now ive just about saved enough for 2 of the tekpower variable supplies. Look forward to your progress.
Bob E
seal666

Postby midmoslts » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:39 am

I just love watching track builds. It looks great. Love the layout. Keep up the good work and I will continue to follow along.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:19 am

Rick with regards to the crossover, have you considered putting the straight on the bottom? Might be easier to see the curves on top.

Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard