Gene at SlotCarPlace having a time

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Gene at SlotCarPlace having a time

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Spoke to Gene today and boy are they having a rough time on the East Coast.

He was sitting in line for gas...for 2 hours. His power is off and on and spending the nights in his office to keep off the roads.

7 inches of the white stuff dumped on him to "ice" this nasty cake.

Hang in there Gene!!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Gene at SlotCarPlace having a time

Postby dreinecke » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Man, that is hard to hear. I really hope he and his family are ok, along with everyone there!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Everything I feared might happen up there did happen- in spades. Lots of utility and construction folks from here are streaming up there, just like they came here after Isabelle clobbered us a few years ago. Pretty soon, the folks from the midwest will start showing up in New Jersey. I understand that when they came here, they drove all night, so I expect they are making the same sacrifice and fighting the blizzard to boot. Around here after Isabelle, I saw many people with tears in their eyes, when a huge utility truck full of volunteers would go by with license plates from places like Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, etc. Several of the crews that came to help had come well over 1000 miles, riding in 10X trucks. That's a very uncomfortable ride and a lot of diesel.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ListerStormGT » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Very hard to imagine what everyone up there is going through. No power with the cold weather and the lack of gas in the areas. I see our power company trucks are up there and saw some showed up from Washington State also. Gene I hope you and the family are ok along with everyone else in the affected areas.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Scatman1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:38 am

Gene, you and your family are in our prayers. I would be more than happy to send supplies if needed. Just let us know. HRW CARE PACKAGE!
Scatman1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:47 am

Gene,
Sorry we're too far away to do anything helpful.Thinking about you all, of course.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:47 am

Tony, that's a great idea. We can do a little "payback" for all he's done for us, bargain-wise.

So, give us a list Gene! We're ready to burden the crap out of the mail service!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

SANDY RACKS LONG ISLAND

Postby BIG E » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:07 pm

10-4 to all that was said, guys. I'm about 1/2 hour east of Gene, also on the south shore. Fortunately, all I've had to deal with is power outages. No destruction of property, but my friends who are usually in a flood safe zone were not so fortunate. The guitarist in my band lost all his appliances, furniture, and even some of his music equipment (which was raised up on 2ft. high blocks). I'm about 2 miles due north of the Great South Bay, he's within the first mile. Very bad here. I consider myself fortunate this time around.
We're all doing what we can. The gasoline shortage is just making things worse. Odd/even rationing started today, and tanker deliveries are getting better.
A few slot car shows and my Long Island Auto Replica Society model car club's annual show and contest (it was supposed to be tomorrow) is cancelled until next November. The Long Island shows just had to be cancelled because you can't get a hotel room (all the displaced families are staying there), and the gas situation is still a big problem.
It would be unwise and unfair to ask people to travel here at this time. There are just more important things to be done. Thankfully, there were not as many people injured (or worse) than there could have been. I'm sure this is a national news story, and all of you can see the devastation.
My best wishes to all who are experiencing difficulty during this disaster.

Talk to you all soon... Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge