[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - If anyone pays attention to old racing...farewell, Mr. Fitch

If anyone pays attention to old racing...farewell, Mr. Fitch

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

If anyone pays attention to old racing...farewell, Mr. Fitch

Postby moparjenny » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:59 am

moparjenny
Cupcakes

Re: If anyone pays attention to old racing...farewell, Mr. F

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:30 am

Sad to see this. What an icon of our time.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby goosenapper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:35 am

goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby olskoolslotz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:12 pm

Last edited by olskoolslotz on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
olskoolslotz
"THE Champ"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm ashamed to say I would have assumed he was already dead. That's quite a long run. I have seen his picture many times over the years in the old Road & Track.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby DAVE » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:22 pm

Geez. I won't have any heros left. I was racing at a vintage event once that he attended, but I missed him. This
was another case where I see the person around and just assume he will be there forever.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:25 am

I try to get to the Greenwich Concours every year. John Fitch did an interview show for Motor Trend and I always made it a point to stop by the Motor Trend tent and listen for a while. He always had a great story to tell. This year Fitch was not at the show, but his car, the 1966 Phoenix was.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

REMEMBERING MR. JOHN FITCH

Postby BIG E » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Sad news, indeed.
Had the pleasure of a handshake and a smile while attending the Vintage Fall Festival at Lime Rock Park, CT a few years back. Purchased the video of him running at Bonneville the same weekend there. I was also fortunate enough to see the "Phoenix" up close and personal while it was at the Saratoga Automobile Museum in upstate NY. A great place to visit and see automotive history in a relaxed setting, and at your own pace.
I also think of Mr.Fitch when safely passing a line of his barriers. Think of how many lives have been saved! The man was a racer and a friend to all automotive people, whether they be enthusiasts or just daily commuter drivers. Rest in peace, sir, and thanks for your contribution to automotive safety and history.

P.S. - Mr. Fitch brought good fortune to me that day. After our short meeting, I continued on through the vendor area on my usual search for slot cars and model kits. I left that weekend with an original Aurora Thunderjet 500 '63 Corvette 'split window' coupe, molded in the very rare grey color!
It's now all cleaned up and a part of my stable of runners. Think I'll name that slightly customized 'Vette "Phoenix" in his memory.

Thanks for all the posts, guys... Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cjent » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:04 pm

A great hero and driver who did much for safety in racing.
Cjent
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge