Anyone Into Aviation History

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Re: Anyone Into Aviation History

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:49 am

Some were modified for racing of course, both air and hydroplanes ran them as I'm sure you know. There was a Merlin powered drag racer, too, and I think there was a twin Merlin salt flats racer. But its also true that there are military modifieds, too. Ours was a "Ferry" engine, and our spare was a European Theater standard Merlin. The Mustangs here at home had yet another engine setup. The Ferry engine was tuned for longer air time, like a better mileage tuned engine in a car. It was set up for the long run across the Indian Ocean from India to Australia. (still drank fuel like crazy)

We came across some documents that described the "disposal" of P-51s after Korea. They were loaded on a barge and towed out in the ocean to be bulldozed off the barge. Its hard to imagine, but some of the finest aircraft ever built, Mustangs, Thunderbolts (Jugs), Skyraiders, Bearcats and more were simply shoved into the ocean, unstripped. Just dumped.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby FootScoot » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:48 pm

That happened to a lot of old warbirds, just dumped in the oceans. P47's were built here in Evansville during WWII. Not many around anymore. They had one here they were restoring until the warehouse they had it in burned down, no more P47, what a shame. :cry:

The dog has been giving me the stink eye today because he wants to play, and it's raining. It's kind of unnerving. Can't very well play in the rain, but I'll give him an "A" for persistence. :violin:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby DAVE » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:51 pm

There were several drag cars with Merlin and Packard ( the american made version) motors.
Your choice of favorites between the Pratt and Whitney and the RR Merlin would depend on if
anyone is shooting at you. A Pratt will still run with a cylinder shot out, but even a small bullet hole
in a Merlin crankcase will put you in the ground a lot sooner than you would like. I do prefer the
sound of a Merlin, though.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Interestingly enough, I work right on top of where the Alexander Airport / Nichols Field was in Colorado Springs, CO The remaining airplane factory/hangars are right across the street.

Great site! Thanks for the link.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Previous

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge