Old Indy/F1 Oil Painting

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Re: Old Indy Oil Painting

Postby FootScoot » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:09 am

That's really neat looking. Makes you wonder if they did anymore of them. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Re: Old Indy Oil Painting

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:49 am

Is there any reason to think that it is definitely Indy? It looks like a late 60s-early 70s Ferrari F-1. I would also guess that it is raining, and the car has just become almost airborne on one of the humps that several tracks in Europe had in those days. I thought at first that it was simply that the ground clearance of the car was wrong, but the front suspension parts are in a position that they would be in if the body were in a raised position, like almost flying over a hump. Lots of cars got 4 wheels off the ground in those days, on humps. I wonder if your search would produce results if you changed it to F-1, particularly cars that were red?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: Old Indy/F1 Oil Painting

Postby KnowtoriousWon » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Looks like a Formula 5000 Lola from '69-71. The #6 makes me think of the Penske/Donohue car but it should be blue. Might be based on the car thay ran in the 1971 "Quesor" GP at Ontario Califormia.
KnowtoriousWon

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Yep. We're on the right track, I think. I wonder if there is a photo that inspired the painter? The hump may still be something of a clue, since the Lola in the photo above shows front suspension parts that are angled up to the wheels from the body, and the painting doesn't. Seems like a detail a painter wouldn't miss. In the 50s, 60s, and 70s, Road and Track was a different magazine from today entirely. In every issue there was a banquet of perfect photos, really incredible race photos, as well as paintings. There was a famous one of Jim Clark with all four wheels off the ground by a good six inches, doing close to 200mph during a race. There was one I remember of a bright yellow F-1 being passed in the rain by a red sharknose Ferrari so fast that the rooster tail of the Ferrari's wheels nearly obliterates the yellow (in those days, it meant Belgian), car, which might be another sharknose.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby SpeedyNH » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:13 pm

looks like Mark Donohue to me, likely at indianapolis or maybe milwaukee.
speedy
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge