[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 3D Printer?

3D Printer?

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

3D Printer?

Postby asmith » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:11 am

asmith

Re: 3D Printer?

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:33 am

There seem to be people offering 3D printing if you send them the CAD file.
Maybe this would be a worthwhile way of getting "masters" made for resin casting.
As I understand it, 3D prints themselves wouldn't be robust enough for slot racing - although this will no doubt change in the next couple of days at the present rates of progress.
I think what's most worrying is that the only really serious investment in this technology, on an industrial scale, is taking place in guess where - China!
Anyone got any experience of this?

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:56 am

I've been looking into it for four years. Lots to say, give me a call. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby DAVE » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Steve Grider made several slot car chassis just as an experiment. I have one, and have raced it many
times at Chicagoland Slot Raceway. Plenty strong, but too light. Unfortunately, Steve's attention has
turned to R/C car racing, and nothing further was done. He has made several R/C chassis which are
working out well. The real expense is the 3D modelling software and a computer able to handle the
huge CAD files. I use Solidworks from Dessault, as did Steve. This is far and away the best solid
modelling program out there. There are much cheaper programs available but their limitations are
much more than I am willing to deal with. And they don't all work with 3D printers. I expect the
technology to continue to improve, and see myself investing in a unit down the road when the prices
come down to a manageable level.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Gareth (ChocIce) is using 3D printing for his masters. He also uses it for his wallowing chassis.

There are different grades of hardness available just as with most polymers. Also different resolutions on the printers. I would expect a budget home edition to be quite low res and expect a lot of refinishing post print.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby dreinecke » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 pm

I used a NextEngine 3D Scanner, Solidworks and a RP company for my 510 and Cougar. Sadly, I just don't have the time to learn it well enough to be good at it. The parts needed way too much finishing for my taste. I've been using another company and have another car about to get molded so I can hand finish it. I wish I had more time to learn the technology better.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge