[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Start of a great weekend

Start of a great weekend

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Start of a great weekend

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat May 25, 2013 11:23 am

Went to a great butcher shop that DixonJohn told us about and picked up some goodies. We are planning a nice time with our daughter and grand-baby and it has to be right :)

Redneck hot tub is ready...but too cold today. However, the deck is ready for action.

Lot of great smokers out there and this little Brinkman isn't a high dollar outfit to say the least. The General rescued it from a yard sale for next to nothing and it has been serving us well.

I like natural lump charcoal. I combine it with some Kingsford and helps add great flavor.

Speaking of that, here is some babybacks that have marinated in my shake/rub mix. This is how my daughter likes them so that is how the old man makes them :)

As a added bonus we are doing some garlic crusted ribeyes. Normally I don't do this, but we like to mix it up once in awhile. Not to ruin a good steak by any means, but this marinade really kicks it up for a great flavor when you want something a little different.

The prizes we bought at the shop. Now these are some great chops. And as fresh as it gets too. I made my order and the man went "out back" and cut them right in front of me.

Piled high and ready to go!

Let it roll baby :)

More to come! Hope all of you are having a nice weekend.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Start of a great weekend

Postby DixonJohn » Sat May 25, 2013 1:09 pm

DixonJohn
"The Mayor"

Postby dreinecke » Sat May 25, 2013 1:16 pm

While not as impressive, I'm doing shrimp and something you've probably not heard of - VEGETABLES on the grill. If you don't know what that looks like, just look out into the back yard; they are green with other colors mixed in for fun.

We got BOTH kids graduated yesterday, so it has been an excellent weekend thus far. Today is also 83 degrees, so I washed both Jeeps before 8am, pulled the top off of mine and ran some errands and just helped Victoria install a new car stereo in her Jeep. She did awesome (I love Crutchfield kits!) and it even has bluetooth for her phone.

Later this afternoon I'll be escaping the MIL and running to the basement for some laps!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby RazorJon » Sat May 25, 2013 1:17 pm

man that looks like some good looking meat
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat May 25, 2013 1:19 pm

I spent the morning getting the garden ready. Strange weather has delayed everything but we're going to give a run, anyway. Corn patch is done and planted, tomatoes, squash, peppers this afternoon, and leeks, onions, cream peas, and purple hull peas tomorrow. Monday its butterpeas, cantaloupes, and the big job- attacking the branble of blackberries and grapes. The blueberries already are loaded, and the lemonade blueberries are so big they will have to be trimmed back. The pear tree is finally going to bear fruit this year, 5 years after planting, but the old apple tree died and fell over about a month ago. I hope the birds don't beat me to the plums this year. There's a fair crop of them just getting started.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby FootScoot » Sat May 25, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm just going to take it easy this weekend and relax. Might even work on a slot car or two. Nice here today, but supposedly rain Sunday and Monday, oh well just more time for slot cars. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sat May 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Monday is our day of 'celebrating' with our family.

Our daughter and her 'clan' will be dropping by for some swimming and munching on that day.

Nothing fancy, just some good old burgers and tube steaks on the grill along with some asparagus to balance out the meal.

I have found "Soy Vay" Teriakyi Sauce and along with that, some worchester sauce and dry rub will make the burgers nice and tasty.

Enjoy a great weekend with family and friends. Add the racing in and it's another Great American Weekend! :flags-usa:
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat May 25, 2013 4:13 pm

There's quite a debate about lump vs. bricketts in charcoal, Harry. Do you use lump for everything or just the smoker?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat May 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Mostly the smoker. Has a good flavor, and the big chunks LAST for awhile so it cuts down on stoking a little.

But now it is done, I take the pan of leftover coals and dump them in the grill. I close the lid on the smoker to let the ribs and sausage "rest" and the ribeyes go on the grill.

This sausage is fantastic. I had to taste it of course :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ember » Sat May 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Gawd! Every time I drop in here you guys are talking food. Stop it! You're making me hungry!
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby dreinecke » Sat May 25, 2013 10:01 pm

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat May 25, 2013 10:28 pm

Looks like "Papaw" did ok.

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat May 25, 2013 10:36 pm

Look at those eyes! What a cutie.

I don't mind lump in a smoker, because you use so little and it doesn't matter that it burns way too hot for slow cooking large cuts. If you are just doing regular sized burgers, it doesn't matter about lump or bricketts. But lump is also inconsistent, and depending on what wood its made from, may burn much hotter than you expect, or suddenly start burning hotter after its been burning a while, so I don't use it often. Bricketts are solid consistent, and have inert ingredients that can't possibly get in the food that distribute the temperature evenly. That said, I'm still spooked by that charcoal that lights with one match. I light charcoal with an old chimney I expect to rust out out every BBQ season when I get started cooking after the winter.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby FootScoot » Sun May 26, 2013 5:50 am

I normally use a combination of lump and briquette in my li'l smoky Joe, and it works quite well for what I fix mostly burgers or pork chops. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby dreinecke » Sun May 26, 2013 8:39 am

Good thing she doesn't get her looks from her grandfather...not that anyone has ever seen his face to know... ;)
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge