[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - If not for my dad...

If not for my dad...

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

If not for my dad...

Postby dreinecke » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:59 pm

You know, I can't help but think that without my dad showing me how tools work, how to build things, how to tinker, I wouldn't be playing here on this forum today.

This past and coming weekend's project is completely building a new interior fancy handrail with spindles for the house staircase. Never done this part of one before and it is more complicated than I thought it would be. Working with angles is always fun since ours has a kneewall and the spindles are not attached directly to the treads. So, that is going on.

In the meantime, our 3 year old, glass cooktop decided to toast two burners. Guess what I spent time replacing tonight? Two Haliant element burners. Sort of fun since I'd not been inside one before. The only bad thing is after measuring resistance and it saying they were bad, it turns out both switches are actually the culprits. Sigh. More parts on order, and not from SCC LOL! The good news is that the parts can be returned and I now know what that looks like inside.

Recently did the lift kit on my Wrangler. That is now the 3rd Jeep I've lifted, I have also restored another Jeep, 2 1968 Chevelles, and 4 houses. All because he spent time showing me how things basically worked, and that fueled the fire to do stuff. I've now done probably more mechanical stuff than he has, and he used to work at a service station.

The funny thing is that my son is a Physicist and a genius...and has ZERO interest in any of this. Oh well, looks like I'll keep myself busy when I retire helping him out!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: If not for my dad...

Postby AllanI » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:22 am

You're right Dave. I think a lot of the fixit attitude came because there was no money to buy new. Things of all types, whether the house or car, had to be made good or you went without. I remember helping my Dad do the valve clearances on our old Ford because our cars never used to go to a garage if it could be repaired at home. That still holds good for me today. Todays disposable generation just get rid of stuff and buy new 'coz newer must be better, not. I only wish I'dd appreciated my Dads knowledge more at the time.

Allan
AllanI

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:01 am

We may have gotten that gene from our fathers that gives us the desire to "Give it a Go" even if we aren't experts.
Quite possibly, were allowed to fail occasionally so we could see the world didn't end and our self esteem was not damaged beyond repair.('cause even that could be fixed ;) )
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:33 am

David,

I still think were are "products of our time".

I was born in 1948 and grew up in the 50's and 60's. Our family was not one of great wealth - at least not monetarily.

However I was blessed with having known a couple of folks along the way. We rented our living quarters for many years. The owner of our house was Jack Seck. Jack worked as a tool and die maker for Singer Sewsing Machine. He had a shop down in the basement of the 2 1/2 story home that we rented the 2nd story of. Jack, much like my Dad had a good job, but salaries were not really big back then. Certainly nothing compared to today's salaries.

Basically I learned how to do for myself rather then go out and pay someone to do it for me. Whether it was working on you car, sharpening hedge trimmers, painting the house, home electrical, etc. It was a time to learn how to be self-sufficient and do much of everything for ourselves.

I remember one year when we were planning on taking a vacation together at a place in upstate New York. We rented a cabin and it came with a boat. We went fishing a lot while there. We made most of our fishing lures by pounding pieces of copper into blades and then attaching them to the wire we bent and added molten lead weights to. Yep a lot of skills were learned, but the thinking process that I learned are something I'll never forget.

Young folks today don't seem to hold the desire to do things for themselves. I know my kids do as we all did things around the house together. I hope my grandkids will also get the opportunity to share time with me so I can make sure they too learn how to build things, think for themselves and become self-sufficient.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby FootScoot » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:15 am

My dad taught me many things over the years. I used to do a lot of things myself, but as you get older it ain't as easy as it was. I still do what I can, but it just takes me longer. :lol:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Padirt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 am

Wow, did I miss something? I didn't know you got a Wrangler. Details please, I must have been asleep.
Padirt

Postby TsgtRet » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:15 am

Well I didn't get my mechanical abiliies from my Dad (though I got other, equally important, things from him); most of my "tinkering" came from my maternal Grandfather (along with my "packratitis"). He was always able to repair virtually anything and many times not in the "accepted" fashion, often using what he had on hand. My military experience in aircraft maintenance put a "polish" on the things he taught me. As a result I've always taken a swing at doing it myself before calling in the "professionals"; only lately, due to physical limitations, have I taken "the easy way out".
Those of you that still have your Dads/Mentors around, be thankful they are there and pick their brains every chance you get.....when that knowledge is gone there is no way to get it back. Try and do the same for your kids and make sure you tell them who taught you so they know you were once in their place.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby moparjenny » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:01 pm

moparjenny
Cupcakes

Postby RazorJon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Im sorry Jenny but rabbits taste good, I would love to hear the stalking story sometime

Lost my dad when I was 24, even years later while working on my old trucks I would find myself picking up the phone to ask dad a question and stop, oh yeah dads gone

make time, with your dad and your kids
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby DAVE » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Every male in my father's family was into cars or machinery of some kind. When I was a little kid
my dad was always tinkering with our family car. And he didn't mind me "helping". But when I became
old enough to have a car of my own, he wasn't quite so supportive. He didn't oppose it. Any weekend
when the weather was good the driveway and back yard would be filled with my friend's cars, all dis-
assembled. He never forbade that, because the cars would all miraculously get put back together by
Sunday nite. But he wasn't interested in getting involved. My mechanical knowledge came mostly from
other members of the family, since we were all hot rodders. Instead, my father taught me how to
maintain a house, fix the heating, plumbing, etc. And for that I will forever be thankful.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Old guys rule :)

My Dad was a machinist. And one of those guys others called to fix just about everything. My first project with him was a "Ride King" mower he restored. I think I sanded my fingernails off getting that frame clean :)

He was a great cook too. He made his own deep fryer and he used to cook for family reunions.

He built my first slot car track at the local hardware store. AFX :) He was into trains, but he taught me about scenery.

Good stuff David!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Well, he's a smart man and knows alot. I've been able to completely replace HVAC, tile, flooring, mechanicals, electrical panels, windows, doors, decks, siding...on and on.

Car-wise I passed him up long ago, but I got my gearhead and passion for cars from him. I've VERY thankful for that.

He also got me into slot cars - the best of all ;)
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HRWJim » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:27 pm

GREAT THREAD! Pop has been gone for a couple years but he most definitely got the family, brothers and sisters, into cars. He was a Chevy dealer for over 30 years. We drag raced mostly. A 55 Chevy with a 409 in C gas , a B altered Bantam roadster, and a 68 Z28 Camaro that raced in F and E stock. I went along on the maiden run on a country road, I quit looking at the tach when it hit 6500 RPM and still climbing in 4th and started to hold on in earnest. I could bore you with many stories but I won't. I really wish I had half of the knowledge in that mans brain. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:36 pm

I love to hear these types of stories.

I just had my dad over today. He's been laid up for 12 weeks with some serious back nerve issues. He had a procedure done to alleviate the pain and while it has helped, he still has a lot of issues. He is able to drive short distances though, so he came over tonight for dinner while my daughter's b day party is going on. The plan was to get to the basement and run some cars, but he really didn't feel well enough and getting up and down stairs, not to mention sitting, is a real pain for him at the moment. So, we'll have to reschedule when he feels better. Still need to get going on the T-Birds!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge