Friday Night Fights - Derby City visits HRW

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Re: Friday Night Fights - Derby City visits HRW

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:40 pm

I suspect that I have been caving in to pressure and slicing it before it sat long enough. But I put a lot more peppers and onions, and BBQ sauce in the middle, too. Its all good on a bun!

Oh, and my first beer was a Molson Canadian. I was in love from the first taste. I never got used to American mass market beers (making love in a canoe notwithstanding). PM me if you don't get that one.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby FootScoot » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:46 am

We called Sloppy Joe's made rights, as you couldn't make them wrong. I tried and I couldn't make them wrong. :lol:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:46 am

Yeah, that's half the fun about this kind of cooking. There's a lot of confidence that goes with cooking something you just can't screw up!

I get the urge to do something complex from time to time, and I find myself working harder on small fancy stuff in the kitchen than I ever did on huge hunks of meat on an open fire. I love making things like big tall souffles and whole Mexican or Greek meals, but they are a lot of work because they are not only hard to do, but have a possibility of being "not fit to eat" if something goes wrong.. If I had my druthers, I'd just cook whole pork shoulders, ribs, and pow fatties while sipping a cold beverage.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:53 am

Not to mention...the cleanup on large meals like Greek or Mexican sucks in my opinon...too many prep dishes! Where's the Palmolive?!?!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:00 am

Man, you ain't kiddin'. The secret to these kinds of elaborate dishes, it seems to me, is that it takes a large family to get them done. Take tamales, for example. To do it right you need five people in a line, each doing an assembly line task. And you don't get a good batch unless you make dozens of them at a time. I learned from a Mexican lady and her mother and the four little granddaughters that giggled all day, and made four hours feel like four minutes. Its family that makes it happen. The magic of little girls' laughing makes it happen. And you have to clean up as you go when you set that assembly line up, so that you don't run out of room. It takes care of itself. Its the same for stuffed grape leaves, and all the other foods that are complex. When I make tamales, I actually get lonely for those women and the girls. Nice memories.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Previous

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge