Pleasure and a Privilege

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Pleasure and a Privilege

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:28 pm

I've just been browsing two other big English language slot car sites,one British and one American.

Found nothing really new - but was dismayed to find a tendency to hostile argument,finger-wagging pedantry and in the case of one a propensity for issuing litigious threats.

I can honestly say I've never seen anything remotely similar here; just inexhaustible helpfulness,interesting chat and banter, and above all good humour.

It really is a pleasure and a privilege to be a member of HRW.

Thanks,Harry, and all the members who make HRW work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Pleasure and a Privilege

Postby ddyke » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:00 pm

I am going to sue WaaaytooomuchBeerinHim for being nice to me. Slots have given me some of my best friends including Pat and Rob.

Dan
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:04 pm

You are welcome and glad you like the old dump.

And thanks really go to all the folks here, they make it what it is.

We have our days...no one is perfect, but we try.

Legal issues are handled by our official law firm of "Dewey, Cheatum & How".
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby oceanview » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Yes everybody THANK YOU! Yikes!
oceanview

Postby TsgtRet » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:28 pm

I have to concur with everything said so far. I only frequent one other slot site (Phil's Outhouse, downunder) and I won't even go to the "big" one at all for just that reason.....friendliness or the lack thereof. Harry & Company keep it a nice place and it's always a high point to my day to find "real" people sharing something I enjoy.

My new signature quote was just happenstance but it's VERY true in this case! :banana-rock:
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JULES » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:35 pm

I was just having a quick look round the others to see what I was 'missing'.

I read what David is referring to.

Tedious.

This is a far better place to camp.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Yes, but in fairness...

Postby SuperSlab » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:55 pm

I too enjoy this site.

But in fairness and as a bit of a counterpoint to the OP's comments: I must say that I am a long term member and viewer of other sites as well (US, UK and Australia). While each has its own unique character, strengths and weaknesses, I have found ALL of the sites that I regularly visit to be invaluable in both informing, educating and entertaining. I have enjoyed them all and have learned a lot (and if I am not very good at preparing and running slot cars, that is entirely my own fault, not those of the publishers and contributors!).

I have the greatest appreciation for those that spend the time and money to provide us with these sites: this one included. Thanks Harry!
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:52 pm

I must admit, I'm glad I eventually gave in to Jon's coaxing and dropped in here. Nice friendly bunch.

I do maintain a presence on that British forum that was mentioned, but it has been rather uninspiring of late in most areas. But the flow is always cyclic. Many seem to have departed in favour of Facebook groups. Which just don't offer the same functionality as far as sharing information for future reference.

And of course, Auslot is kind of home to me (Kind of got to, some silly sod made me a mod). But, this is a fun place to hang after hours. So, a big thanks to H & Co for keeping the place tidy and functioning.

Get a life? Well... Yes... I'd like to. But it seems I can't afford one currently.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby dreinecke » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm planning on suing Harry for having so much fun that I find myself unable to concentrate on work at work.

I believe that HRW is the best place to play. Folks here are genuinely helpful and friendly. We put a lot of effort into making sure that questions are answered and folks feel welcome.

I still like SF and find it a very good forum. To Embers' point - sure things are cyclical...even here I see it, but that is the nature of the hobby at times.

David - it is great having you and that fabulous track and those wonderful cars here on HRW!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby goosenapper » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Like with any organization, I think the atmosphere comes from the top down. I don't mean to butter him up, but Harry is a nice guy who is genuine and generous. Branching out, his buddies are just the same. That creates a "homey" feel that is free from egos and snootiness. It's infectious.

I avoided online message boards as though they were the plague until I fell compelled to join-up here based off of the helpful posts that I was reading on the old site. I'm very glad that I did. We can all post and write as we are instead of being guarded for fear of getting blasted for spelling something incorrectly or coming across like a dope. A lot of people jump on the internet just to argue behind the mask of anonymity, but that really doesn't happen here.

So a big thank you to the entire HRW crew! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm late to the party on this one because my mask got stuck when I went postal and shot up the place over dopey spelling.

Dan, you have no standing under the law for your suit. You were nice first.

Dennis, my co-defendant has immunity from the suit on the grounds that his girls are the cutest things on the planet which makes him an expediency priority of security for a national treasure (little girls).

Dave, I think San Francisco is very good fun, too!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby RazorJon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Dang I go to work a few hours and you guys start a big hug inn :romance-grouphug:

All kidding aside Harry, Cindy and Anthony are the best folks you will have the pleasure to hang out with, and if you ever get the chance to go to a HRW shindig you will be even more impressed

Rob, Jeremy, Doc, the Semo Boys, Tom, thanks for all the help and friendship :clap: and all the ones I forgot to add :banana-rock:
thank you for this getaway ;)
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:36 am

I thnk it is the title home racing world we all feel right at home

DM
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby baford1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:27 am

I agree DM its got a lot to do with the title it feels very comfortable , oh Harry I was wondering is your law firm cheap ?

Richard
baford1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:57 am

The friendliness on the board is just the tip of the iceberg. And like GN says, the atmosphere comes from the top, and it doesn't get any better than Harry and Cindy. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge