[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What is junk?

What is junk?

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

What is junk?

Postby ddyke » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:53 am

I am amazed at what is considered junk these days. I just got my fifth dual core computer (2 laptops and three desktops). The latest laptop was missing a little plate that covers the HD. My new track will have a nice timing computer.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: What is junk?

Postby Jesla » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:57 am

Are you looking at my junk?!?!?!?!

LOL!
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:07 am

The same thing happens here. Most all the timing systems I have made and given away were "junk" according to place I work at.

For timers they work great.

Wait...by these standards that is what is running HRW. Hmmm...this might explain a lot.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby reel55 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:28 am

One Business Junk is another person,s GOLD
reel55

Postby dreinecke » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:39 am

I've got three computers - 1 laptop and two desktops for the same reasons. They work great in the shop for timers, etc.

Too many things are seen as disposable these days.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby TsgtRet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:29 am

For "daily use" we have a PC and 2 laptops (mine is a "docking" version). Beyond that I have 2 working Windows 98 PCs and 3 "dead" ones. Of all of those only 2 were purchased "new". At work I just got given, because I expressed some curiosity, a Tektronix 453 o'scope and a Hewlett Packard, countertop, digital multimeter....both were destined for the scrap heap because they were "obsolete". Now if they would just throw away a variable DC power supply...... :think:
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DHansen » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:33 am

Computers are one thing. I live near a lake where rich poeple buy up 10,000sq ft summer homes for 1/2 a mill like they were dime store candy and bulldoze them, then build another 10,000sq ft summer home [for another 1/2 a mill or more] just to live in it on week ends 3 months out of the year. Then in 10 to 15 years sell it all to someone else that dose the same thing all over again. The landfill here is the largest man made structure in the county. I think there going to have to put a red beacon in top of it here fairly soon to keep the airplains from running into it. It's full of imported marble counter tops, the best carpets money can buy, fancy high price windows, hot tubs and fancy gold plated plumbing fixtures, and more. If I had just 1% of the money that is throwen in that landfill in just one year, I'd be able to retire and live the high life for ever just on the interest.
DHansen
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DAVE » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:48 pm

All you need to do to see what people save is watch "American Pickers" on History channel. It
is shocking to see these guys pay big bucks for things I threw away or burned, and then sell them
for bigger bucks.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:51 pm

In the early 1960's I was usually found at my best friend's house. His Dad used to buy "basket case" motorcycles. We would strip them down, toss out the 'junk' parts - rusted, bent, etc and then clean the 'keeper' parts up and put them into marked boxes. After we got enough parts, we would build a bike.

I went to a "swap meet" recently where I saw parts being sold for $200 that I had thrown away stuff that was in better shape.

Great question.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby TsgtRet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:53 pm

TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge