Storing PGT-equipped cars

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Storing PGT-equipped cars

Postby WB2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm putting PGT tires on my fleet of cars. Most are stored with a 1/4" piece of MDF under the motor to keep the tires from bearing weight.
I've had some overflow cars sitting on a Formica countertop. When I pick them up, there seems to be some grab or stick when the rear tires release. A thin line of contact can be seen on the tire surface.
Will long term storage on the tires cause flat spots?

Thanks
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Storing PGT-equipped cars

Postby paul gage » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:48 pm

I usually keep my cars resting on their sides on a thin layer of spongey foam from computer hardware packaing, mostly because I've run out of shelf space. I do keep my display favorites sitting on the tires, sometimes for months without using them. I also see the small line on the tire but I have not detected a flat spot when the car goes on the track. Most of my cars have the softest XPG tire I make. When I take them off the shelf there is the same grab. I don't think it is stickyness but possibly vacuum. The small line may simply be the clean spot and a fine layer of dust has collected on the rest of the exposed portion of the tire. This in no way a scientific conclusion though. I usually just pick up a car and run it, perhaps giving the tires a quick 10 second spin on 240 grit sand paper if the car is loose in the corners.
Most of our local racers were using urethane for a couple of years before I came along and none have made any comments about storage having any effect on the tires. I replaced a pair the other day that was reportedly 6 to 7 years old, only because the looked ratty compared to the tires from my newer mold types, they still worked awesome, and no flat spots or anything.

If you get a bum pair let me know and I'll fire off some replacements... hope I helped... cheers...PG
paul gage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:54 pm

There you go, Paul. Way to watch for chances to help people!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Yes sir, good info.

There will be a new place here at HRW....it's time.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby RazorJon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:11 pm

I need to order some tires for some SCC wheels just not sure what size yet

I have my PG tires that are on slots sitting on the top shelf and have not noticed any trouble
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge