[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - This is real modeling

This is real modeling

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

This is real modeling

Postby frank9129 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:40 pm

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/
This is a real modeler. It takes real talent to do this, as well as too much time on your hands.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: This is real modeling

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:13 pm

Wait a minute! What's the ignition source? Is that a diesel?!? It must be, right?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby buspor63 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:02 am

Anyone with a Dremel could have done that, now if it had one piece rods and a press together crank, that's a different story :lol:

I think it ran off of compressed air. Once you rocked it around, the compressed air would keep the inertia going.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 4424ever » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:51 am

allways impressive to see handywork and creativity like this but the time involved must be insane, do you know how many slotcars I could build with that amount of time and material? awesome workmanship!
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:33 am

I just went back and looked again. There isn't the least puff of smoke from those tips, but that could mean it runs on alcohol. The compressed air idea can't be right. The friction, even well oiled would not allow it to turn more than a few revs after disconnection, and the feed line is clearly not connected and is open. That big fat flywheel would carry it a few revs but nothing like that. If its being run with air, its coming up through the stand or something.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:08 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby RazorJon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:11 am

That is a fine job, tons of work and time for a kids toy, years ago I knew an old tool maker that made a 1:12 rotary aircraft engine
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:18 pm

I remember that guy who did the Ferrari. I've pointed people to that so many times over the years, you would think I got tired of it, but nope, I keep watching it again and again. Its the sound. I'm hooked.

Hey Jon, did that guy ever get any pictures of the radial? I love round engines. That's how I got started with antique airplanes.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby buspor63 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:56 am

I believe the model engine company, OS, still makes radials..... and a single rotor Wankle !
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:13 am

They were still making them a few years ago when I went to the big hobby show in Chicago. They made a two cylinder inline and a 4, and a 5 cylinder radial. I used to daydream about building a large scale Stinson Reliant Station Wagon, or a Fairchild 24 with a working radial on the front-- then the nightmare of crashing a work of art like that comes and I stop thinking about it.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby DAVE » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Yes O.S. has a five cylinder radial. Also a four cylinder pancake (opposed). Robart has up to a seven cylinder
radial. I originally wanted to use one of the Robarts on my 1/4 scale F4U Corsair but there was too long a
waiting list for Robart motors.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:18 pm

That would have been gorgeous, but you know a Corsair was an 18 cyl P&W Double Wasp, right? The idea was that sitting on the ground, you couldn't see the aft bank, anyway, right? That thing was a bear. It was an engine with a plane built on the back. Every time I see one fly I can't believe how good it is. The guy who owned the P-51 I worked on got an F4U after I moved away, and he said he was scared to death by the thing when he was doing type-training for it. Among the antique warplane guys I know, there are a lot of tales about that giant windmill on the front of a Corsair. So damned fast!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby DAVE » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:16 pm

True. A nine cyl. would have looked more real, and you would not be able to see the rear bank. I was
more after the sound than anything else. Robart would build a nine but since the seven was close to ten
grand and their catalogue model, I was afraid to ask what the custom nine would cost. Plus at the time,
there was almost a year wait for their motors. By the way, the seven was rated at 25 hp. I saw a demon-
stration where they had one bolted to what was for all practical purposes a conference table. I don't recall
what size prop they used, but the operator cracked the throttle and the table jumped forward about ten
feet. I didn't need that kind of power. I put a chainsaw motor in it.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Wow. Wish I'd seen both of those.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby DAVE » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:30 pm

Robart has a website, http://www.robart.com. They show the R780 which is their current catalogue
model. I believe the bigger engines can still be custom ordered.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge