I have wooden one now...

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

I have wooden one now...

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:30 pm

Martin from SEMO made up some cool slot boxes and had a few to sell. I just had to have one.

I have been wanting a second slot box and to get one in that old school style is just perfect.

Thanks Martin, great job. I have a lot of respect for folks who can build like this, I know I can't.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: I have wooden one now...

Postby ourwayband » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:05 pm

Nice one Harry!!!!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:16 pm

Good looking box. I'm still using my Plano fishing tackle box from about 25 years ago.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:21 pm

I've been thinking all day about designing a box. Strange how great minds run in the same gutters... That looks like a classic design from years ago.

Back in HO days, I had a great box converted from a tackle box. Remember when Plano made every shape and size tackle box in the universe? Maybe they still do, I don't know, but if I could enlarge that box for 1/32 and 1/24 and build it from wood, I'd bet set from now on. The best part was a little toolbox that could be removed and set aside on a table, leaving a dead flat plinth block right on top of the box, right where it was just right to see across at eye level. I gave that box away years ago and I've missed it ever since.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby FootScoot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:52 am

Nice box Harry. I like the way it swings open in the front. Should hold quite a few cars, and it's WOOD! I've never seen anything rust in a wooden box, unless it was in a flood. Wood will absorb the moisture before it gets to anything inside. :)

I'm using a wooden one from my 1/24 drag racing days. Holds about 30 cars. I also have one I didn't make which isn't bad just not as precise as the one I built. I did cut the wood on a $40,000 table saw made for cutting blocks for diecutting dies, so it can be set at thousandths of an inch, and with a 84 I believe tooth carbide tipped 7" blade running at 25,000 rpm it cut smooth as silk, no splintering at all, just a slight sanding to really smooth those edges. I also have a Plano I use too for tools and a controller, and a few more cars, you never have enough cars. :mrgreen:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby RazorJon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 am

If I would of had the cash I would of got that last one

I can not believe it came with all those cars :doh:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby dreinecke » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 pm

Nice box!!!
dreinecke