[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Maynard G. Krebs

Maynard G. Krebs

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Maynard G. Krebs

Postby slothead » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:31 pm

Any of you old air biscuits remember the character Maynard from the Dobie Gillis show? I'll always remember Bob Denver for being Maynard as much as for later being Gilligan.

I think of Bob Denver often because my little buddy these days is our cat Gilligan, who loves to curl up in my lap so we can nap together. If our second cat had been a boy I'd already gotten my wife to agree to call it Maynard.

Watched the first episode of Dobie Gillis on Youtube last week. The object of Dobie's affection in that episode was Tuesday Weld. She was a cutie.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Maynard G. Krebs

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:36 pm

I was such a nerd in those days, I had a crush on Zelda Gilroy. Its the truth.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:30 pm

Zelda was A-OK, but Dobie always had his eye on some dream boat beyond his reach. Thankfully, he had Maynard to keep him grounded. Looking back all the characters were fun and well developed. Even the dry rich kid, Chadsworth Osborne Jr. was really a good guy. It was a a good show with positive themes.

Without looking it up, anyone remember what Maynard's middle initial, G, stood for?
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Perrotoro » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:51 am

Almost dates me - I don't think I was double digit age during Dobie/Menard's glory years. Enjoyed it, though the romance references were well above me at the time.

I'd have to look it all up : No clue on the G in Menard. Remember the names - not so much the faces other than Dobie and Menard. I'll have to look up but I remember the "The Thinker" statue vividly - was that on a college or HS campus? The statute I feel sure I'll find was a replica of a classical European original - right?

Were they slotters (ha)?
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:06 am

I only have a dim memory of Dobie Gillis, Maynard G. Krebs was a more memorable character, he got more and more screen time as the series went on. More info on the show here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Many_ ... bie_Gillis
The Thinker statue was a replica. Maynard's middle name was actually Walter, he explained that the G was silent.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:22 am

I was just a kid too when the show was on, so my older brothers would have been the ones turning it on.

Maynard was a beatnik who evolved toward being a hippie as the show progressed. I doubt few people today have any idea what 'beatnik" refers to as a generational term for young folks who were outsiders at that time. Stereo-typically, Maynard might have said something like: ""Oh, man! Ned spilled ink all over my poems. He's a real flat tire, I mean a cube, man. He's putting us on the train to Squaresville".

Every beach movie in the early 60's had a beatnik character in it for good fun. 'How to Stuff a Wild Bikini' was just on TCM the other night.

Maynard was a real cool cat, hep to the jive if you know where I'm coming from daddy-o.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby strangebrew » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:57 am

strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:30 pm

I forgot about "work...WORK?!?"
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:05 pm

Maynard's painful and comical reflex response to any mention of w-o-r-k was his most memorable trait. It seems both of the major characters Bob Denver played either resisted work or botched it up completely.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby RichD » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:00 am

Bob Denver was in the beach movie "For Those Who Think Young".
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:16 pm

That movie is on Youtube, I'm watching it now. But, it's incredibly corny and very slow moving. With Tina Louse (Ginger), Paul Lynde, and Bob Denver it could and should have been a fun movie. If it made any money at all it must have been from teenagers making out in the back of the theaters or drive inns.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge