Lap counter problem....solved

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Lap counter problem....solved

Postby Modlerbob » Fri May 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Didn't see where this would fit anywhere else. I've been using the Trackmate Lap counter system for about 8 years now and only had problems when I screwed up. A few weeks ago one lane suddenly stopped counting laps. At first I thought it was the cable connector that converted from a 25 pin connector to the newer telephone type plug to the module. So I ordered it's replacement from Trackmate. Got it last week and replaced what I thought was the faulty cable but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. So now I concentrated on the IR sensor and deduced that it had failed. Not being the best electrician in the world I went back online and ordered the new IR sensors that plug directly into the control module ($40). We raced one week on three lanes counting, but drove all four to keep things simple. Meanwhile I looked on the internet to find some mini IR sensors that were small enough to fit in the holes in my track. At first I was unsuccessful but finally checked with Radio Shack and found what I was looking for and as a bonus the store right down the street had them in stock. The salesperson, who had been there for a while, told me that I was the first person to ever buy that item in that store. Price $4.50. When I got home I removed the sensors from the track and soldered the new sensor where the old one had been. I had to open up the hole in the track a bit and everything went back together fine. My lap counter is back to being fully functional. Too bad I had already ordered new cables from Trackmate. If anyone needs to replace an IR sensor, the ones sold by Radio Shack work.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Lap counter problem....solved

Postby RV Racing » Sat May 25, 2019 8:22 am

I didn't know that any Radio Shacks stores survived the bankruptcy. All of the stores in our area are long gone -- a great shame, because once upon a time, they were a great place to find electrical bits and tools for slot cars.

My Trackmate timing system components are 13 years old now, so I know who to contact when I need replacements.

Thanks,
Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Lap counter problem....solved

Postby RichD » Sun May 26, 2019 7:34 am

You are lucky that you still have a Radio Shack store nearby. I was aware that besides their mail order business they still had a few brick and mortar stores. A computer repair place near me stocks a small selection of Radio Shack items.
The IR sensors can sometimes fail. You have to use new sensors that match your emitters, both the emitters and sensors work over a very narrow frequency range.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge