Rest In Peace Niki Lauda

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Rest In Peace Niki Lauda

Postby Z-carfan » Mon May 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Last edited by Z-carfan on Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Rest In Peace Nikki Lauda

Postby F1Fan » Mon May 20, 2019 8:47 pm

The Rat is Dead - Very sad news, a real legend and straight shooter if ever there was one, he did things on his terms and did not suffer fools lightly.

I was very concerned after his lung transplant, then after his Christmas message to the team I thought he was going to be OK, but after he was re-admitted to hospital with the flu, it was obvious that things were not looking great.

R.I.P Nikki, you will always be remembered, for many more reason than just being a brilliant F1 driver.
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon May 20, 2019 9:09 pm

As a race fan I'd obviously heard of Niki Lauda, but I didn't become invested in researching his accomplishments till this car (purchased off HRW) joined my Can Am series.

Thanks to the 'Endless Summer Racing Series' at Shelby-Hendrix Speedway Niki Lauda will remain a featured competitor racing against other legends such as Dan Gurney, Mark Donohue, etc. for the foreseeable future.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby dreinecke » Mon May 20, 2019 10:25 pm

I moved to Germany in 1973. Only a few years later, I was at Nürburgring in 1975 watching him place third. I'd become a HUGE F1 fan upon moving to Europe and was often found rug-racing my F1 Corgi diecast cars with friends. I talked my way into the pits as an 8 year-old, only because the guy at the paddock gate couldn't believe an American kid learned to speak German. My dad was proof as he didn't speak a lick ;) Dad was a big 35mm Minolta guy, and we got dozens of close-ups of all the drivers and cars from only feet away. They were all pleasant and to an 8 year old, larger than life.

We attended again in 1976 when Lauda suffered his terrible crash. I'd already been a huge fan when he won the championship in 1975 and thankfully we were on the other side of the track when it happened.

I followed his career forever as well as Senna when he burst onto the scene later. Hockenheim was now the German GP stomping ground and dad and I attended each of them from 1981-1984.

While not perfect, the movie Rush is in my Top 2 of racing films. I love reliving some of what I remember as a kid. And yes, hunt was that good looking and crazy. I remember seeing topless girls in his pit while touring the paddock...not unusual for Hunt or what I remember of Germany LOL.

RIP Niki. Godspeed and I hope the track where you're at is fast and fun.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby FC47 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:51 am

Thank you, Great Brave man, Rest In Peace. Glad I went to bed early, one less day to know this.
He was something. What great days. Open wheeler from the day I first saw and heard it.
Time there too when as David said, not the same memories but, never a dull moment in a lovely place.
Godspeed Man,
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge