Slot car racing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course!!!

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Slot car racing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course!!!

Postby Z-carfan » Mon May 06, 2019 7:58 am

Apparently I did not get enough racing this weekend at the Ohio Cup. So my wife and I went to a very soggy Mid-Ohio for the IMSA Acura Challenge.
It was a great event and I will not get into the details of that event here. However I stumbled across a Slot car track set up by Acura and decided to give it a spin!

During the 4 1 minute heats I was Driver # 3, you rotated through the lanes so you got to drive each car.

This was all Carrera track, the cars were custom built by the gentleman running the track.
They are 1/24 Scale Auto Chassis with Tamiya 1/24 Acura NSX model kit bodies. They were running magnets but it was easy to have an off if you didn't pay attention.
He had custom decals but I forgot to ask if he made them or found them.

I ended up winning my group and got a neat portable power charger for a cell phone for my efforts. :)

My wife laughed at me (she raced too) because I was excited to run the cars and that she felt I was a "ringer" because I run Carrera setup at home.
It certainly helped that I did, but really was excited that Acura used slot cars to activate with the crowd.

Good job to Acura for trying this out as a way to generate interest in their products and to promote slot cars. It was neat to see there were several kids who got in line to have a little fun tot.
Now before you ask, my group was all adults, I didn't want to be shown up by a youngster. :P
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Slot car racing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course!!!

Postby WB2 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:05 am

Neat.
In the dark ages of Daytona Prototypes, the IMSA gift trailer sold Sideways GTP cars.
I wonder if Carrera cars of Weathertech series would be a good seller.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JamieB » Mon May 06, 2019 9:41 pm

They were there last year as well. I remember they had all of the MSR Acura drivers show up to do a full race with each other, which was fun to watch. I was only there on Friday this year and it was still under the tarp to stay dry.
JamieB
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Tue May 07, 2019 7:25 am

You are right JaimeB, it was there last year. I don't recall if I posted about it then.
I didn't run on it last time so I had to try it this year.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge