Strange weekend

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Strange weekend

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:02 pm

Had a Saturday wedding to go to, and thought since it was just a little ways north, it would be a nice excursion for me and my wife... nope.

There is no GPS in the hills, no cell service, and we were warned about that ahead of time (not that we have GPS anyway). But we never considered that there are no maps anymore, and the damned highways aren't marked.

We wandered for 2 1/2 hours in tiny little towns with people who give directions that are just wrong. That, on top of a two hour jam getting out of the city we are near on I-95N. One hour was a wreck and one was nothing more than a traffic snarl where two interstates come together north of Richmond Virginia. They were back to back just for extra fun.

We netted out being a full three hours late for the wedding. The reception turned out to be for US. Nice people. They celebrated our late arrival right along with the bride and groom. There were other people who had the same problem with the highway signs but didn't hit the huge mess leaving Richmond because almost everyone came from D.C, so they made it just in time.

The father of the bride came home with us (yeah, driving back in the dark on those mountain roads was worse), and we all had a big laugh about being old farts lost on country roads. He left very early this morning, and I'm just now catching up on computer stuff from Friday. Maybe we are old farts...
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: Strange weekend

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:46 pm

You just can't stay out of the sticks can ya?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby FC47 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Holy crap Rob!
But, you know, I know it was good and you'd do it again,

Saturday was, up at 430 340 mi 11 hour round trip in rain, in a 25 y o truck, back in sleet and wet snow. Adirondacks spring. Thank goodness it's a Ford. And for six hours of Moody Blues. On30 train show and saw a few friends from on here. And a good bunch of others. We talked printing toys. My model missed the podium, we talked more slots than trains. Someone sold more slot cars than trains...he's the only one who unashamedly brings them. Good time, twice a year coffee fueled donut fiasco. Topped with Mickey D's on the way home, watched hockey til midnight
:banana-dance:
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby REL13 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:49 pm

Paul, I know what you mean. We drove to that same On30 train show and all we talked about slot cars. I came home with more slot cars than trains. It was good talking with you. REL13
REL13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge