Not Slots, but still carrying the Oval torch!

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Not Slots, but still carrying the Oval torch!

Postby btaylor » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:25 am

Been a while since I posted anything slot related, other than trying to answer some posts. I have been pretty busy with some family health issues, and another racing venue that I am helping get started. Since health stuff is boring, and we all have our issues, I'll fill everyone in on my other current hobby task.
I posted a couple of weeks ago that I was helping the neighborhood RC guy's keep some cars running. I'm not an RC guy, and have never had one. I guess because I build so much weird stuff (Board track racers, Hot rods, etc) in the 1;1 world, they thought I could help them. Unfortunately, I could not get any of them interested in slot cars.( I tried hard!) But I could help them out with their new venture. Building a 1/10 scale oval to run Vintage coupes and coaches, and late models/ modified's.
So as it stands, I now have a 1/4 mile scale dirt oval in the backyard, complete with Trackmate system using IR sensors and transponders. I have yet to put up the outdoor lighting, and still need improvements on the Spectator area, and other bits, but it will come soon enough. I had to break down and build my own vintage coupe to really appreciate what was going on here! Here is a shot of unfinished my 40 Ford coupe. still needs numbers, and a set of new rear tires, but it will race.
Since HRW is slot related, I wont bother with other pics of cars and track. just letting everyone know I'm still here, and am NOT getting out of slot cars!. just setting up some fun for the summer months, and helping another hobby grow here locally.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Not Slots, but still carrying the Oval torch!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:59 am

Hey that's cool stuff Bob...slots or not, your still playing with toy cars and that's good enough:)

I built an oval many, many moons ago for our local club. We "raced" 1/10 Trucks (RC10T/LOSI) and....wait for it....Tamiya Clodbusters and Kyosho USA1 lol. BIG FUN.

Show the track!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby GRUNZ » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:15 am

That is really cool.
yes please, Bob show us the track.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:51 am

Ok. Since you asked! :lol: This is an early shot of the track. 55ft x 30ft. 134ft running length. 1/10 scale 1/4 is 132ft.
This is the track mate system just unboxed. 10 transponders, and all the hardware/software needed. Bridge or gantry, is 2" PVC. The straights are 10ft wide, corners are about 15ft.
Very strange not to have to let the paint dry, then put down copper tape!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby viejoronnie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:17 pm

Howdy Bob:

I will be following your non slot racing topic with interest,if you continue to post here, as I have been investigating this method of timing for use in my current hybrid slot/RC project: a 2 lane plastic 1/4 mile scale slot car oval track running 8 scratch built early modifieds using bits from 2.4Ghz mini RC cars with wireless proportional speed control along with manual inertia based double xlcs. Constant dc power to the cars will be acquired directly from the track rails.

Since it looks like the small Trackmate transponders can be fitted under a 1/32 or 1/24 body along with the OEM ESC/steering receiver and can take power directly from another servo's power source, it may be possible for me to tap into that steering servo power circuit since I won't be using that for these hybrid Frankenslots.

Do you happen to know the voltage requirement for the Trackmate transponders?

I am trying to keep the costs down since I only need one bridge sensor for a 6-12" wide track, the one decoder, plus 8 transponders for the cars which I can move around to other cars. I have located another manufacturer of such a system and have discussed the applicability to a slot track with multiple cars, but it is still a pretty spendy proposition given the number of transponders needed.
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Awwwww BT... “I won’t bother with other pics of cars and track”...that hurts :naughty: :naughty: ...it’s expected of you :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
Thanks for showing it...that is freaking sweetness!!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:01 am

Bob - that looks like a LOT of fun! Definitely dig the looks of the "vintage coupe"!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby ourwayband » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:29 am

Great looking build and track Bob!
What RC chassis are you basing your build on?
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:38 am

Rusty, we are basing the vintage mods and bombers on the ECX Amp chassis. It comes in buggy or truck, is hobby grade, and has a buy in of $140 out the door. They are totally upgradeable, and have a top speed of 25. Plenty fast, lots of torque. Keeping the cost down has brought in a bunch of new drivers. A lot like slots in that respect.
We tried out the new trackmate iridium timing system Saturday, and it was a hoot. Scale speeds hitting 120 on the straights, and finding the driving line was a ton of fun.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby ourwayband » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:21 pm

Thanks for the info Bob.I've had nothing but good luck with the ECX trucks.Cool deal that ya'll are going that route so any one can have fun for a small amount of cash.Keep on having fun.. :D
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge