Daytona Party at museum

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Daytona Party at museum

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Today our local museum, North East Motor Sports Museum, held a Daytona party for anyone visiting. They had food, old race cars, the Xfinity race on 2 large screen TV's, and 2 slot tracks (drag strip and small oval) for visitors and members to enjoy. Since my SCC buddies were actually in Daytona for the weekend, Itchie and I got volunteered to oversee the slot tracks. To say we were busy would be an understatement. For 5 solid hours, we ran hundreds of races on the dragstrip. We had kids, moms, dads, grandpas and grandmas, uncles, aunts, members, visitors, etc. You name it, they were racing...and having a ball! The grandmas were a riot, as they would race a few races, then run around the museum telling everyone they gotta try the drag strip. Then they would come back and challenge not only the grandkids, but anyone who happened to walk by. :lol: There was one young fella about 6-7 that when he won a race, had this really hysterical laugh that had everyone around him laughing as well. He was an absolute riot!! :lol: :lol: :lol: There was another young fella who wouldn't try it even though his gram and gramps encouraged him countless times to. After many attempts to get him to try it, they walked away to check out other things. But within 10 minutes he was back, and this time he finally gave it a try. You think we could pull the controller out of his hand after that? Ha!! :lol:
Itchie and I were told by more than a few people that the drag strip was the hit of the day. Oh wait...I forgot about the little oval that the SCC guys Bob and Steve built for the museum. With how busy the dragstrip was throughout the day, I could never make it over to the oval to help people. But our ol' buddy Cliffie did his best to keep things going there. For the most part, the cars fared very well, with (AFAIK) only a bumper being broke off, and a wire coming off the guide on another car. There were people still running the oval well after the 5 o'clock closing time. I had to finally say the shop's closed and shut down the track... :lol:
I did manage to get a couple pics, but then it was back to work. These pics only show a fraction of the crowd that was there.

Overall, a fun day for anyone who came, and I can say Itchie, Cliffie and I enjoyed it as well :auto-checkeredflag:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Re: Daytona Party at museum

Postby FC47 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:17 pm

That looks and sounds like it was a great day.
Nice of the museum and a lot of fun for the fans and racers.
Nice job on the oval by the guys!
The ol dragstrip will get another workout next weekend!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Daytona Party at museum

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:52 am

Looks like a good crowd and a LOT of fun!
:D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge