Race fans league

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Race fans league

Postby slothead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Once football season ends with the Superbowl I look forward to the Daytona 500 and the NASCAR season. But, like many have said here I'm not nearly the fan I was 20 or so years ago when I watched every race and knew all the cars and drivers. While watching parts of the rain delayed Chase this past weekend I though if I cared more about who won or finished in front it would be more enjoyable. I root for a couple of drivers and teams but have no real vested interest like I do when I attend short track events where I have a favorite driver and an emotional connection to the outcome.

So, here's an idea to consider. A few of us form a league and each one selects a driver. Sort of like the solo proxies I'm in, we get points based on how our car/driver does in the race. If there were 7 guys in the league we'd rank our drivers 1 - 7 based on their finishing position, ignoring all other drivers. If the top finishing driver won the race their 'fan' would get bonus points plus position points (to be determined). Every 'fan' gets at least some points every week as long as their driver was in the race. We'd also designate a way fans could switch drivers if desired, and maybe even randomly assign fans a second unselected driver. This way if watching a race or checking out results afterwards, how at least 2 drivers did would matter to each of us. Our randomly assigned driver might end up becoming someone we root for.

None of this has been well thought out and is just an idea. If you're interested in putting something together like this post a reply and offer suggestions. If something comes of this we could do something similar for the Indy 500 and IRL, and other types of racing. I'll offer to keep track of things for the first series.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge