[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Newish to the hobby, classes, racing, etc.

Newish to the hobby, classes, racing, etc.

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Newish to the hobby, classes, racing, etc.

Postby wanabgts » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:34 pm

Hey guys, I'm new on the forum and fairly new to the slot car hobby. I have however been racing RC cars for many years, and race 1:1 cars as well. I read the rulebooks, try to maximize the potential, and ultimately want to be competitive.

Here's my question. Why has there never been a somewhat standardized classing for scale slot car racing? I have been becoming more involved with the local club, and running a couple tracks within a days driving distance, needless to say I now have around 15 cars to keep myself busy. But can't even fill my night at a single track on a rotating class schedule.

I understand many people want to play and tinker, and there are so many different makes and models of cars that don't necessarily compete will with one-another, but it seems to me if there was just a standard "GT class" or something of that nature that most tracks ran as a class etc, then the ability to get racers in would improve. Maybe tire restriction would be easiest, min weights, etc.

I just wanted to start the conversation and see what your input is like, I see it as a hobby with huge potential for the next generation of car enthusiasts but having gone through the process of getting up to speed I see some issues. I know there are areas with thriving clubs, and I'm curious what kind of classing structures they are running and how long they have been in place.

My local shop owner said to me the other day "I keep my race schedule mostly box-stock cars, and only change it once every month or so, I would rather 100 people have 4 or 5 cars then 4 or 5 people have 100 cars". To me, this makes a lot of sense.

Thanks,
Zack
wanabgts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Newish to the hobby, classes, racing, etc.

Postby frank9129 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:57 pm

Zack,
Welcome to HRW. This is a place where the hobby of Slot Car Racing lives. All are welcome here.
Post any question you have. No one will think you are nuts. We are all there or were there.
Harry is the owner of this forum and easy to reach and has fantastic advice.
Welcome,
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby docdoom » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:50 pm

well Zach I also would like to see a more stand class rotation at the club. I also was in the same boat when I got back into the slot. it took me some time to get all the cars for the classes. I would rather had maybe 4 or 5 classes of cars and been good, maybe we can bring it up on the next odd Thursday race. being a new racer at the club might help others see what we need to do to bring more guys in.
docdoom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby wanabgts » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:24 am

wanabgts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:27 am

I'm a "scratchbuilder" so perhaps I should stay out of this.............................but :angry-soapbox:
If it were me, I would find a track/club where I liked the folks & had fun. I would concentrate my time there.
I don't think I would want to spend the money to buy/tune/modify cars for every class.
I'd pick a couple of classes I liked.
Think of how many race cars/trucks/bikes there are & have been the past 50 years.
Each part of the country has their own favorite venue. Not to mention individual preferences.
As a "scratchbuilder", you can't beat Harry's showdown, being a combination of performance & modeling skills.
Simple rules...A basic class outline with mandated motors & tires.
Cars are amazingly close even though there will be wildly different design entries...(Check the results here when Harry times them in)
Seems like the motor-tire rule equalizes all.........If the car runs straight & free, it'll be competitive.
When I raced 1:1's (70's-90's)there were 6 local dirt tracks within 75 miles, running the same basic modified/sportsman classes &....................
3 different rule books. :roll:..........Go figure.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:57 am

There are in fact national bodies for slot car racing, but their focus is not on RTR cars for home racing like most of us run (I used to work at a commercial track).
Europe tends to have stronger RTR / 1/32 organization just because the hobby is stronger there than here.
The group I race with has two classes I don't own cars for (Trans Am and Front Motor) but I goanyway and run a loaner because it's fun. Enjoy the hobby.... that's the point.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby wanabgts » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:57 pm

I should say as it's a common theme, I am certainly having a good time learning the ins and outs. But I can see how some people may not be so receptive to the hobby. Competition always makes things more fun however, even for the guys who know they will never be near the top having someone to battle with for a few a laps makes a big difference in the fun factor.

I understand that in 1/24 commercial style slot car racing there is more of this, and like I said I definitely understand the problems that come with trying to do it with the more scale style cars since they are all so different.

Having like "sportsman" with some approved motors, or tires, or weight, etc. Might be all that is needed, then you could have the open classes for you experienced scratch builders!

Zack
wanabgts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby lancelotalove » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:15 pm

The local clubs would be the place to look for the rules and they do change sometimes. A national rule may not work as well because each track is different and straightaway and track length have a factor on motors and gearing. A club at a commercial raceway might let you have higher reving motors than a home or club track. Also the club would govern what parts the group as a whole can get and still be affordable for everyone and newcomers.
They could start with rules from the proxy racing pages here. Most classes here are usually easy to set up and not expensive.
RAA class is carrera cars with little to many modifications. Carrera scramble has 2 classes, DTM stock except urethane tires, and modified with as many modifications.
Most clubs usually have a slot it Group C class with their tire choice (silicon or urethane) and motor limit, a Trans Am class, mostly stock with motor and their tire choice, and another class. They usually run a different class each weekend to keep from burning out on the same class.
lancelotalove
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge