[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Slot cars you wished you hadn’t bought

Slot cars you wished you hadn’t bought

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Re: Slot cars you wished you hadn’t bought

Postby Dangermouse » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:55 pm

Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby downtowndeco » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:19 pm

I have a couple Fly cars and as everyone says, they look great but need work. Everyone has a thing & my thing is building layouts & scenery, not tinkering with cars to get them to run OK. By the time you buy the car, then have to also buy new axles, tires, wheels, perhaps a new motor, gears etc and so on, ah, for me, that gets to be a drag. Other people like to do that sort of stuff so it's all good. Different strokes & all that.
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks DM, I'm going to go get it right now and size it up,
I am sure you are right,

Update;
Moved the pinion for better mesh, made a 20 thou split washer to shim the axle, cleaned off the molding flash from all four hubs, tucked the wiring so as not to interfere with the body. Lubed, cleaned the tires, left the magnet for now. The thing flies! Just like you said, Thanks!
Now the tough choice-get some sleep or keep running cars..
Last edited by FC47 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:36 pm

downtown, I have seen people overspend on cars so many times and wondered "Why do they do that?" The cars can be made to perform well enough for me without all that expensive stuff.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby PetesLightKits » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:57 am

I paid too much for a Le Mans Miniatures CD Panhard. I knew the running gear would be replaced with something more race-worthy as I wanted to run this car in a vintage sportscar class in our local club. But the car came "new" with various bits of the body broken off and rattling around inside the box. Such a shame too as it is a beautiful and well done model. I'm sure the retailer was happy to get rid of it - however, I no longer purchase anything from that retailer. So it just sits in it's box for now. Maybe one of these days I will get around to gluing it all back together and putting some half decent running gear under it. Probably not until I make it through my seemingly never-ending pile of project cars though, as I am sure they won't be as discouraging as the Panhard.

Peter
PetesLightKits
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:33 am

DM, completed the ED tutorial and then some. Lowered it so much I nipped away some footwell, and some body panel under the valve covers and stacks- intake manifold is right at the motor. Stock tires remain as well as guide, but it really screws and stays well planted,
Thanks
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:40 am

FC47 is referring to tech articles that Electric Dreams had on their website.
There is one on lowering the RM Lola T70 and a similar one on the RM McLaren M6. These involve mostly time and little additional cost. I’ve found DArt urethane tires for these cars work well with the big spur gear.
Victory Lap Hobbies (now OOB) had some good tuning tips and ramblings. They are available at Victory Lap Blog.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Giddyup » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Any front motored cars.

While I had just a few, I sold them all off.
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby -Nimrod- » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm

I will FOREVER REGRET THIS!!!!!!
(I bought 2 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: )

Cheers
NimROD
-Nimrod-
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:42 pm

There are a couple of Ninco cars that I bought and as soon as I put them on the track wished U had never bought them. The cars are the Ninco 1 modern Camaro and Mustang. The Revell/Monogram stock cars, the R/M Corvette Gran Sport, the R/M Lola T70, the Ninco Audi R8 and there are a few others from various brands that will forever be shelf queens.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 am

NimROD - is that a slot car version of the lunar rover? If so does it actually run, I mean in any sort of reliable way?

This July 20th will be the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. If you want to part with one or both this might be the year to do it and recoup your investment or make a bit of a profit. Or, you could tune them up and run a Lunar Landing race to celebrate and post it online. It might go viral on July 20th.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby -Nimrod- » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:28 am

Hey Slothead,

Thank you for the info, I've already had a PM asking for one.
The one i've tried runs fine, I'll fish it out and take some pics if you like.
Never put any thought to them since I packed them away close to a decade ago.

Cheers
NimROD
-Nimrod-
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slowshoes » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 am

Without a doubt a Le Mans Miniatures Porsche 911. I don't think it made it around my track twice before a stripped wheel went flying off. It continued to shed parts just handling the car. Threw the whole mess back in it's box, where it sits to this day. Wish I would have sent it back.

Bill
slowshoes
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Xr4ti » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 pm

AutoArt Lamborghini Countach 5000S, June 2006. $15 for the looks.
Replaced the rears with urethane & added TSRF gears.
It's been in it's box for probably the last 10 years.
Displays well.
Xr4ti
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge