Building a kitchen, not a slot car

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Building a kitchen, not a slot car

Postby dreinecke » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:07 am

We have often talked about home repairs/remodeling efforts here. It is always fun to see how folks do things and how skills in building small cars translates into the 1:1 world.

We purchased this house almost two years ago. At that time, we liked alot of things, but HATED the kitchen. Our last house had a massive open floor plan with a gorgeous kitchen and this one was designed by an idiot. The room was small, the island was un-useable, you could not stand in front of the fridge and open the doors, and there was no functional flow to it. Two people in the kitchen constantly collided if one was cooking and the other was cleaning. Most of it was due to a huge pantry closet that was 75% wasted space, the island being across from the stove, too close to the fridge, etc. The cabinets were in decent shape overall but suffered from quite a bit of water damage to the finish. All of the doors needed refinishing.

These are the orginal sales listing pictures:

So, I tore out the pantry and replaced it with tall pantry cabinets - this alone opened up the room greatly. I had to build a soffit as the new cabinets were taller than what was there plus I had to hide a completely poor HVAC duct system.

I then had to move the island away from the fridge and centered the sink to the window in the dinette. It is now possible to get the fridge out for cleaning, etc. and you can now walk past it or stand in front of it while the doors are open.

I had to install new tongue and groove oak flooring in the areas the walls once stood, expanded the island so there is ample prep space and replaced all appliances as half of the old ones did not work, or work properly.

The only things the fetching Mrs. Reinecke and I didn't do was install the granite counters and blow the texture on the new wall areas. We prepped and painted the cabinets with a special paint using an HPLV sprayer, trimmed out the island, and redid the electrical and plumbing. We also did the dry-stack backsplash.

As the kids and their spouses are coming here for Christmas, I'll be stopping for now and have a small punch list of things to still do; like putting poly on the new flooring areas.

So here it is today:

The wife is thrilled with the outcome, but the downside is I've torn my left rotator cuff in 4 places...PT for now, probably surgery after the beginning of the year. So, I'm done lifting for now...crap. Maybe if I'd 3D printed all the work...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: Building a kitchen, not a slot car

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:58 am

Well holy crap..... it's no wonder you have been quiet. A little more than building a track....

Next time you are in town, let me know. We will have some relaxation.....
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:52 am

Congratulations to both of you for taking on and completing that remodeling task. Your carpentry, plumbing and electrical skills are enviable.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby scatman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Excellent job.
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:53 pm

What a transformation, you guys should be very proud of what you accomplished!!!

New kitchen looks really nice, love the overhang on the island so people can sit down and hang out. If your house is anything like ours, everyone is always in the kitchen, the one room we haven’t remodeled, yet!
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Show off.

I see now who REALLY did the work :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby strangebrew » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:51 pm

:| :| :| :| MY BACK HURTS :| :| :| :|
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:52 pm

I think I'll take another pain killer. :) Looks good though even though I had to look twice at the mat in the one picture. i thought it was a SCC cutting pad at first glance, must be the pain medications I'm on.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Geez, David. If there was any way I could have come to you, I would have done at least half of the work for you. You still have to do the shoulder-destroying bit in this scenario, I mean, friends are friends, but that sh*t hurts... But anyway, my own health, age, and all, I would love to have been there to help.

Look, my wife and I are medical folks from way back. The surgery you are going to have is going to generate lots of questions. PM me with any questions and we can talk on the phone, too.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:09 pm

Chappyman66 - mid January, I'm there!!!

Rleog - thanks, luckily dad taught me about tools and we built stuff, so here we are!

Scat - thanks!!!

Lou - that's why it had to be done. We live in the kitchen and the last one had 8 bar stools around the counter...this one can now have a few for the same reason.

Harry - of course SHE did the work. And the cleaning. And more cleaning. Did I mention cleaning...?

Brew - Mine too!

CCobra - too funny! Hope you're better!

Way - As for the shoulder - this one is easy - I tore the right one up doing landscaping about 6 years ago - torn cuff, bursitis, AND I ripped the biscep off both ends. THAT, you did not want to see... But after surgery and rehab, I've got full range of motion and no pain. Hoping to avoid surgery...we shall see...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby FC47 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:00 pm

I know I won't kill this thread because David they'll keep on you.
Real nice work on the kitchen man, way to go you two!
Get that shoulder recovered! Been there plus a similar rip. Ouch!
Take in the holidays!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Too many similarities. We too just finished a Kitchen Reno,and I have Shoulder surgery scheduled for the spring. Damaged my power shoulder a year ago and they finally decided it is a tear. Most aggravating injury I have had, as it only seems to be unbearable when I go to lay down Cortizone has helped but many nights I was almost crying like a girl Funny I can swing a golf club, but fly casting ended up in incredible pain after only a few minutes.

Really nice job in the Kitchen Dave. We did much the same thing swapping over to White cupboards. Better half did all the painting,( oh my shoulder) and I hired pros for the counter tops. My role was more of an advisor:)
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Very nice and a heck of a lot of work. I'm glad you posted this, my wife wants to redo our very similar looking cabinets (style / paint color) and paint them white as well. I could not picture it in my mind how they would look painted ......you have answered my questioning doubt!! Thanks!

Rob
Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Paul - thanks!

Dan - I feel your pain! Wait, that sounds familiar...

Rob - happy to help! I used an Earlex 5500 HPLV, 2 coats of Kilz water-based primer and 2 coats of General Finishes Snow White Milk paint. Let me know if you have any other questions.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Great job. just think of all the brownie points you earned with the fetching Mrs. Reinecke by doing all that work for less $. There has to be some reward down the road for that. Maybe more features on the 3D printer.
jeff
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge