Paramount Ranch

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Paramount Ranch

Postby WB2 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:04 pm

I’m sure everyone is familiar with Paramount Ranch, an old road course that’s been promoted forever in the slot car world. The land and the old movie set have been part of the National Park Service for many years.
Paramount Ranch was consumed by wildfires today.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Paramount Ranch

Postby mattb » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:13 pm

The slot car track is an interesting story. It was built by Robt Schliecher for the MCT magazine or CM mag, I forget which one. I don't think that it was ever used as he moved and dismantled it once it was done. Another old time slotter, Rich Kazinski in Pa actually built a nice copy of it years ago and used it for a long time. Not sure if it is still functional, but he sent me video of running cars on it 15-20 years ago. As far as I know there was never another copy of it built.

Rich was one of the us home racers back in the 80's and 90's that pretty much had to make everything we needed. Wasn't much available back then.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:35 pm

Yup, Rich called his copy Leadmine Raceway. He did a wonderful job building it.
It's been a popular layout because it was a real figure 8 with the crossover. But it didn't last long.
Ironically enough...the fire might make the remains of the track more visible...
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chris » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:50 pm

One of the guys I used to race with did a fabulous 3 lane version of that track. Always had really close racing on it and everybody loved racing on it but sadly boys will be boys and he took a dislike to another club member and stormed off to form another club and took his mates from the club with him.

They soon had a falling out so now the track gets used maybe once or twice a year. Shame.

Chris.
chris
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge