The Other Forum

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

The Other Forum

Postby WB2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:46 pm

SCI website is down. Anyone know why?
There have been issues there for some time. Hopefully, it’s down to get things fixed.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: The Other Forum

Postby arroldn » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Was just on it posting the tentative schedule for the Forums Cup Proxy here at my place next month. I have had no problems logging on or posting. Post was made not more than 3 mins ago.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:33 pm

The company that owns the servers SCI used was bought out. The process of switching over to the new platform has not gone as smooth as expected. This has affected not only the board but also Alan's online store. Alan says everything should be up and running soon but I can't say what exactly soon means. So be patient with him and SCI he's asked.

Tony
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby lancelotalove » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:05 pm

From SCI post:
Alan's host has merged with another company and there seems to be some upheaval with all his web sites. We're trying to work through it and find the issues that have really been thrust upon us. All I can tell you at this point is I can get to the site with Firefox while I can't using Chrome or Edge - I get the same error.

Firefox and Internet explorer work
lancelotalove
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:50 am

Just seems odd that SCI has all these problems with its internet site. I am not that big of a web user, but I can't think of any other site that has had all the problems like Slot Car Illustrated. I can't figure out if this is the result of malicious attacks by a disgruntled customer, incompetence, or cutting corners, trying to get by on the cheap. Even without these problems and no matter what the reason, SCI is not the site it was at one time.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:09 am

I was not able to get on SCI using Google Chrome, but IE 9 worked for me, I was able to do a post that included a picture. I also tried using Edge and that did not work. I sent an e-mail Wet Coast Racer, who is a moderator for SCI and he replied that he believed that a new server was being configured and that was complicated for several reasons. For one thing the BB is a subset of Alan's e-commerce site and the old version had been customized by its former administrator, who has moved on.
I am still able to get on SCI using IE 9, I just posted a very large article with a lot of pictures in the HO section on behalf of a fellow club member.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:35 am

I was sure it was because you farted and got thrown out. They are very touchy about crazy rules over there.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby model murdering » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:31 am

Migrations are always fraught with nagging issues. Above and beyond the obvious, there have been navigational issues there for quite some time. Completing the even simplest tasks in PM or the editor is often almost impossible regardless of the OS or browser used. As for the other stuff, it's not always particularly user friendly either.

HRW is a breath of fresh air.

Harry, thanks to you and everyone for keeping it real.

Bill
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:49 am

I was signed up to that forum a few years back. I got supoena/warning/bs email when I was on that forum. I put up a post that was a change of topic and they said I couldn't do that. It was not political or anything, just something like a tire discussion and I mentioned wheels. I was told my post was deleted as it drifted from the original topic.

Like I don't stick to the current topic!!! Do I ever post wandering messages???? I've always believed that if you could say something in 10 words, 100 would be better!!!! Now you guys suffer my wandering posts!

Being the easygoing guy I am am I said F*** it and quit reading or posting there.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Matt,
I agree. I have only one forum that I post on. I read the others but keep to myself. I have been reprimanded for the slightest infraction.
Besides those guys are a bit snobbish. So, up their noses with rubber hoses.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby PinkPig23 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:06 pm

I used to go there on a daily basis years ago, but over the past few years I probably average visiting about once a week. The traffic there is nowhere like it was back then, and the forums always seem to be glitchy.

Up until recently I followed the FB page for Alan's store, but I really felt like he doesn't has a grasp on how to properly use social media. 30 second video clips of someone holding a slot car without describing the car are pretty worthless, exspecially when the post has more hashtags in it than all the other text combined. Maybe the internet in general just isn't for him?
PinkPig23

Postby WB2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:14 pm

I don’t know Alan but we’ve have a few conversations on the phone. I’d have to rate him pretty high on the good guy scale based on those conversation. Therefore, I’d hate for anyone to give him too much flak over the forum.
I’ve read about the issues and can understand his dilemma. He has to deal with the problems as they pertain to his business as well as the forum. That’s in addition to running a slot car track, a mail order/internet business, a wholesale business, and hand assembling the BRM cars.
I believe SCI lost a number of visitors due to the problems. I get disgusted, and have mostly just scanned the various threads. The HO guys are still posting a lot.
I’ve always felt SCI and HRW were different enough that they appeared to serve different markets. Both had their interesting aspects, and some that didn’t attract my interest. It’s like comparing Road and Track magazine to Circle Track magazine.
Bottom line - be nice with your comments. You’re getting two good forums absolutely free.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:06 pm

WB, I agree with you completely. I too have had a couple of phone talks with Alan, but that was many years ago. I have also ordered several cars from the shop and received excellent customer service. Alan is one of the nice guys. I think PinkPig has a point, that maybe internet isn't his thing. If he wants to make it serve him better, he should hire someone to work the net for a few hours a day, while he handles the business. But, with a digital presence necessary for doing business today, I would hate to see anyhting bad happen to him or his business.
Regarding HRW vs SCI, there are some fundamental differences in purpose and pursuit between the two sites. Alan has made no secret that SCI is there to boost the business of slot car racing and get people involved to the point that slot car racing can once again thrive commercially.
HRW is here because of a love and passion for slot cars and the "kids" that continue race them. HRW recognizes that the home track is where slot racing will thrive in the US. I am not saying one is better, but it does add a different atmosphere to each site that is discernible.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:21 pm

You mean there are other slot car forums? :lol: All I need is right here! 8-)
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby MikeB » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:38 pm

I’ve gotten onto SCI with Firefox but not my iPad.

Alan has had issues with SCI for a while now and I still view the site as contributing to the hobby even with the issues. There are 4 primary sites related to slot cars that I frequently visit. Each has its own contributions to the hobby, whether your interests are with RTR cars, scratch building, vintage scratch building , or routed tracks.

I agree with keeping the conversation positive, Alan knows the site it needs to be addressed.
His website and store benefits us even if you don’t frequent his store or website, he is supporting the vendors we buy from.

Mike
MikeB

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge