[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What do you guys think of the first NASCAR ROVAL race?

What do you guys think of the first NASCAR ROVAL race?

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Re: What do you guys think of the first NASCAR ROVAL race?

Postby mattb » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:11 am

I hated road courses the first 20 years I watched Nascar. I suddenly realized as boring as the mile and halfers were, I had my eye on the tube all the way thru the Sonoma and the Glen . I got to really enjoying the action.

I've never been a cell phone (IPhone) guy that has games and a facebook going all the time, so I actually watched the race with no interruptions for years. I have found that the last 10 years or so, I now have a laptop open during a lot of sports and tv shows. I am becoming like the young generation that has to have instant gratification. That may be why a 4 hour race on tv has lost so much of the audience. We have been conditioned to expect instant results. Before I quit watching most all the way, I did the dvr thing and would scan a race in about 45 minutes or so. I think maybe the world is conditioning us to be that way!

I echo your sentiments about the 500. Kind of my favorite day of racing. Nothing as beautiful as Monaco for the GP, even if the racing isn't so hot. The 500 is so historical and tradition is still so much a part, that I do watch it. The 600 I don't watch anymore.

I do enjoy the recordings of the old 500's, USAC races, and Nascar races from the 50's and 60's. Most cars were modified production cars and open wheelers were actually some variation of a home built roadster. There is a connection between those early cars and gearheads like me and that connection has been lost with what is raced today.

good discussion
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby downtowndeco » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Remember this thread I started from before this race was announced?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14781

They kind of got it right, although I envisioned much less road course than they actually ended up using.
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:14 pm

I agree, a road race is a good idea for the playoffs.
But, it should be a real road race on a real natural road course, NOT on an over sized go kart track.
As I have mentioned in an earlier post, if they must race there, the Charlotte ROVAL could probably be altered to make for a better event.
I still strongly believe the road course used for the Daytona 24 hour race would work much better. It's already established and ready to go.
Just my humble opinion, of course! -- Ernie :>)

Now... on to Talladega and all the wild uncertainty that will bring to the Cup Series teams.
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bigman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:18 pm

BIG E :text-goodpost:
I agree with you :auto-checkeredflag:
Racing on the road courses at Daytona would be great :auto-driving: :auto-driving: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-driving: :auto-driving:
But they start there and the July race is always a BIG Hit :naughty:
Just saying :think:

bigman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge