[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What do you guys think of the first NASCAR ROVAL race?

What do you guys think of the first NASCAR ROVAL race?

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

What do you guys think of the first NASCAR ROVAL race?

Postby BRS Hobbies » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:25 pm

I thought the first NASCAR race was exciting. It reminded me of a lot of the slot car track layouts that I have built over the years. It seems like a great opportunity for one of the race set manufacturers to do a licensed NASCAR ROVAL set.

What do you guys think about the ROVAL?

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: What do you guys think of the first NASCAR ROVAL race?

Postby jeepcj7 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:32 pm

What was 48 thinking?
jeepcj7

Postby 4424ever » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:45 pm

I didn’t see the whole race but caught the last 30 or so laps. I enjoyed it but maybe just because it was different and how much excitement can you have at the finish. Congratulations to Blaney :clap:
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:27 pm

I enjoyed it. Was looking forward to it and it lived up to my hopes. Some of the math calculations got in the way of just trying to go fast, but I guess it is important. If you were behind the wheel with the adrenaline pumping and trying to go fast and save fuel, it is hard to imagine being able to also keep track of each competitors place in the finish. The fact that Larson actually ran around with a un-steerable car and saved his season while knocking out the 48 is going to be hard to beat.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slot GT » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:24 pm

Loved it! It's about time NASCAR put a road course into the chase and this lived up to my expectations. Now you've got another wild card besides Talladega.
Slot GT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Xr4ti » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:17 am

Totally entertaining!
Xr4ti
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mayberryman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:49 am

Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:15 pm

I missed it...BUT...when I saw my Blaney boy win it on videos and on the last lap I loved it...really different with speed and actual driving which I think is good for the sport!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-crash: :auto-layrubber: :auto-crash: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Will NASCAR take note that there were more people in the seats than for many years at Charlotte? Will then notice that even on a forum like this it is being discussed. Will they notice that when just run a cookie cutter mile and a half oval only about 10 people care. Maybe fans will get interested again if there is continuous action on the track.

Used to be that oval racing was fun to watch for a couple hours, but our attention span now requires something to keep happening, unless you want to get that Sunday afternoon nap in.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rooster » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:45 pm

I liked it. Probably the best idea Nascar has come up with lately. While I still like the 1.5 tracks, there are just too many. Give me more short tracks and two or three more road courses during the season. I think that would get more people interested in Nascar.
Rooster
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Racie35 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Nascar cars running through a loop woukdnt interest me at this point...it's lost its appeal and ticket sales show that.
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:05 pm

I gotta say it, so here it is... I hope it's the last one there.

I think it was a good idea, but the track was too convoluted for good racing with those heavy cars.
A race on the road course at Daytona would probably have worked out better, or even at Indy.
But of course, it had to be at Charlotte, the place with the smallest infield space of those three.
I thought the race was an embarrassment to NASCAR, no matter how much the TV staff hyped it up for the fans.
The event was just too much of a circus for me to enjoy, I was very disappointed. Sorry, guys.

Just my personal opinion, of course. Not knocking all those who did enjoy it.
Oh well, on to the next race... Ernie :>)

Here comes the hate mail...
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:32 pm

No hate mail here, we all have our opinions. I actually tuned into the last hour of the race and looked at the screen part of the time. That was the first time in several months. I will now go back to not watching any of it until Talledega. Then I will be done for the year.

I watched every race, every week, from about 1990 on, trucks, Busch, all of it, practice sometimes. Now, I have it on for a few minutes and wonder why. I change to something else and read about the race the next day in about 30 seconds. I don't know what has changed, I'm sure it is partially me, but the new generation of drivers, the fakey stage racing and silly way to pick a champion, talking about "playoffs" in a racing season, I don't know how, but it has just changed and lost my interest. The continual explanation of who is in and who is out during the race made that pretty hard to follow for me.

They did actually have people in the stands for this one and the tv ratings were up for the first time in however many years for a Cup race. Like all auto sports, the decline will probably continue but the drivers will make more money and the costs for owners will go up.

I still miss Benny, Ned and Bob! It has been impossible to keep a race on tv when I hear a Waltrip voice.

Just my opinion, but lots of fans seem to be fading just like me. In discussions like this, it is possible to actually learn something from other people, it doesn't have to be confrontational.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:33 pm

Matt, I guess I'm on the same page as you. I watch very few NASCAR races live anymore, letting the DVR do it's thing, then I can control the time spent while reviewing the event at my convenience.
I still get together with a few friends for the Daytona 500, and we have a bunch of food and drink for the afternoon. Before the track lights were installed, I used to have a big breakfast buffet set up for the guys. No adult beverages until the green flag dropped, which wasn't halfway though the afternoon back then. If I'm interested in the possible championship outcome, I'll make an effort to watch the season ("playoff") finale live, but still won't be glued to the TV for the entire thing.
Maybe if they revised the Charlotte ROVAL a bit, taking out some of the really low speed corners and the ridiculous oversized curbing we might have a better race next year. Right now NASCAR sounds pretty satisfied with the results of the inaugural running, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Personally, I most enjoy watching the entire Indianapolis 500 live if at all possible. It's not just the racing but the tradition of the event and the sometimes one offs that are attracted to run in it. I was pulling like crazy for two time F1 champion Fernando Alonso last year, and he almost won the thing if the engine hadn't failed! I look forward to him being in the series full time next year, it looks like that's going to happen. Even at this stage of his career, I still think he's one of the best car control guys on the planet.
I won't let my Rock'n'Roll band book gigs for Memorial Day weekend, and it's really gotta be a special kind of 1/1 automotive event for me to attend live and relegate the Indy 500 to the DVR. Then I've gotta keep from hearing about the race before I get to watch it! There was a time many years ago where I had 5 or 6 guys over for the entire day, and we'd watch F1 at Monaco, the Indy 500, and then try to stay awake for that never ending World 600 at Charlotte!

Nice to hear everyone's take on these events. Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bigman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:20 am

It was something else that's for sure :text-goodpost: :text-bravo:
The blue turtles really gave the boys a hard time. :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek:
The best thing about it was, it leveled the playing field :auto-driving: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-driving:
I think a road race is a great idea for the play offs :music-rockout:

bigman :flags-waveusa:
bigman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge