[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Old gas station with a mystery guitar player

Old gas station with a mystery guitar player

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Old gas station with a mystery guitar player

Postby rick42 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 am

A not so good pic of an old gas station. Anyone know who this left handed guitar player is ? I do. Notice the old phone booth too.
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Old gas station with a mystery guitar player

Postby kidvoltage » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:24 am

'scuse me while I kiss that gas pump.

Google says that picture is Jimi Hendrix.
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:30 am

Aww... ya had to Google that one? The ONE and ONLY James Marshall Hendrix.
Funny 'bout that middle name and the amplifiers he ended up torturing to get all those unbelievable sounds from.

Jimi... first real rock concert I ever went to (it was before Woodstock), and still my man. Clapton, Page, Beatles, Stones... they all went to be amazed by him. Thanks for the photo, and... Enjoy the music! - Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:05 pm

You guys are hilarious.

I recently discovered that somewhere in my back pages, I picked up an extra "Are You Experienced" and it still had the poster in it. No idea when or where it happened. I'm considering having it shrink wrapped along with "Crosby, Stills and Nash", and a few others that are in pristine shape.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby kidvoltage » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:16 pm

If you mean old LP's I would recommend against shrink wrapping them. I've seen many a warped LP from sitting too long in the shrinking shrink wrap.
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:37 pm

That pic is probably while he was with the Isley brothers (I think) and they probably drove that big Olds in the background!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks, Monte! I've been off and on about those LPs for years, and I had almost decided to do it. I guess I'll just get some of those sleeves they sell to protect them.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Thanks for this, I'm a huge Hendrix fan. Still listen to more of his stuff than anyone else. Jimi Hendrix: Live at the Fillmore East is a masterpiece, one of the best albums ever.

Rumor has it his father brought him that left handed guitar second hand just so they could goof around together. Once he learned to play that way never switched.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby tjettom » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:18 pm

I beleive if I can recall..he was left handed but played a right handed Fender stratocaster and strung it upside down...If what's left of my memory serves me well...?
tjettom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:24 am

rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kidvoltage » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:08 am

Paul Allen's Museum in Seattle has a very nice Hendrix display. I even learned a few tidbits while there.

On my google search I was pretty sure it was Jimi so I googled "Hendrix gas station" and up it came.

And I ruined my original copy of "Are You Experienced" back in the day learning the licks to Purple Haze and others. Darned record player needles...

Rock on dudes! :music-rockout:
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:03 am

As a teenager, "Hey Joe" began my "dark period", and I read noire books and watched noire movies and thought dark thoughts and wrote bad poetry until one day I realised it was just depressing. Why it took me so long to figure that out is still a mystery. Canned Heat and Credence brought me back. That and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Next thing I knew I was married. Hmmm.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:15 am

Tom - I think you're right and I got it backwards. Discovered Hendrix when I went to see the film 'Monterey Pop', back when to most people he was that crazy guy who set his guitar on fire.

In the late 80's I was coaching my high school's varsity football team and one of the players was also a heck of a guitar players. Unbeknownst to me the team set it up so right after team introductions he excused himself, ran across to the press box and a minute later climbed out an upstairs window onto the roof with his guitar and played the national anthem Hendrix style, in his uniform. I'm sure some people objected that it was inappropriate, but the players on both teams and everyone else I saw loved it.

I remember we won the game, but the only thing I fully remember is him standing on the roof and those wonderful face melting licks.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby kidvoltage » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:24 am

kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:50 am

Many thanks to Jose for his creativity. Jimi's instrumental version at Woodstock is the cherry on top of the 60's decade.

And then there's Whitney Houston's rendition at the 1991 Superbowl that's been replayed at may short tracks before the feature race for decades. I especially love it because the NY Giants won the championship despite being underdogs to the Buffalo Bills.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Next

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge