Bruce McLaren Documentary

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Bruce McLaren Documentary

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:37 am

If you have Comcast and the Starz channels look for a documentary just titled "McLaren" It is 90 minutes long and covers Bruce McLaren's life from his boyhood working in his Dad's gas station/garage to his tragic death at Goodwood testing his new M-8D. Some people don't realise he had a very successful F-1 and sports car racing career before starting McLaren Motorcars. The pinnacle of his career came just a year before his death when he and Denny Hulme won all of the Can Am races for the season, McLaren winning 6 and Hulme winning 5. The film has a lot of actual race footage. I'd give it ***** 5 stars.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Bruce McLaren Documentary

Postby Mitch58 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:29 am

I watched it about a month ago, excellent film.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:16 am

I picked up the DVD from Amazon. Excellent documentary.
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby crossovercrazy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Thank you so much for the tip, Modler - I just recorded and watched it. Not only did it provide key missing voids on racing history and even iconic cars for me (like Gurney's #48 McLaren after Bruce's death), but I found it quite inspirational, and a call for excellence in everything I try to do, and like Bruce stated, to try to "measure one's life by achievement, rather than longevity".
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RV Racing » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:58 am

Agreed, an excellent documentary about an exceptional man. His autobiography, "From the Cockpit," has recently been re-released, and I bought a copy on Amazon -- also an excellent read. I've taped his quote, "Life is measured in achievement, not in years alone" above my workbench, and when I'm thinking about quitting a project, those words give me the inspiration to put my head down and get back to work.

Thanks,
Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge