Seeking race car info

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Seeking race car info

Postby slothead » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm a solo racer but want to conduct actual races so I do simulated races. I qualify all the cars in a series, invert the field by qualifying speed (fastest starts last), then record lap times for all the cars. The data is read by a computer program which simulates all the cars being on the track at the same time. The program displays the race lap by lap, showing which car is in what position as the faster cars in the rear try to move up.

The program is a work in progress and I'm constantly making changes. The latest idea comes from digital racing - pit stops for refueling. Each type of car (Can-Am, Trans-Am, World Sportscar), will have a base fuel tank size, miles per gallon (mpg) rating, and average speed. How much fuel a car uses for a lap will depend on the track length and its speed, with faster laps using more gas than slower laps. A car might roar through the field at a fast speed only to have to pit and give up field position to slower cars using less gas.

But, I don't know what to use as reasonable starting values. I use a lap length of 1.56 miles for Shelby-Hendrix Speedway, and scale lap times up to around a minute so speeds are in the 90 - 120 mph range depending on type of car.

What I need to know is what are realistic fuel tank sizes, and mpg ratings for these classes of cars? What size gas tank did a Trans Am car have? What about Can-Am and Le Mans type cars? And what sort of miles per gallon did they get? Anyone have good guesses I can try out?

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge