New toy in the shop!

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

New toy in the shop!

Postby btaylor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:53 am

Had to share this with my friends. Just picked this little jewel up Friday. This 1970 midget mk111,has 60,000 original miles on it, and had been sitting up for three years due to a bad ground. A bit of shop time, and I was off and running! I got two complete parts cars with it, and there is enough to build one more complete car. (maybe a designated SCCA Car?) anyway, this should be fun for a sunday afternoon jaunt through the Georgia mountain roads. By the way, just in case anyone was wondering, I gave $1500 for all three cars. not a bad deal in these parts. these cars are getting scarce.
The grandson has laid claim to it already, so I guess its a keeper!
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: New toy in the shop!

Postby 73emgee » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:02 am

Congrats on your purchase, looks like much fun in your future.

Safety Fast!!!
73emgee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Ah yes, a Lucas Resurrection! And that car was built before the silly looking big black bumpers on British Leyland cars. It might pre-date BL altogether, which would be great. When that Midget was built, they were still making the sister car, the Austin-Healy Sprite, which by the time this was built was a simple trim parts swap. It has the triple windshield wipers, so its a new as you can get without getting into the butt-ugly years that followed. Bob, you got yourself a great buy, by the way! Early '70s MG Midgets routinely bring over $20,000.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Lou E » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Very cool, that is a whole lot of fun in a small package. Good luck with it and keep us posted on that SCCA racer!
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Great project Bob, very special. Enjoy it.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:00 am

Been a while since an update on my project SCCA car. I started with a basically sound body, but not much else! I have taken a few shots during the transformation, and they should speak volumes. Lots of early hour and weekend work has went into it so far, and hope to have it at the August first Rallycross meet in Macon.
This is as of Friday 3/30/2018. Some body work and paint soon, will be white with blues stripes, and maybe even the HRW logo on the side somewhere!
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby RBPhillips » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:34 am

WoW! You work fast! Astounding. Each subsequent picture brought a "Wait, he did that, too??" from me.

Now I can explain lever-type shocks to my family...
RBPhillips

Postby Wobble » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:53 am

They both look like fun with a capital F.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:20 am

That little car looks like a whole lot of fun, very nice work you are doing there!!
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mayberryman » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:55 am

Boy do those pictures bring back memories of auto crossing and my H/P Bugeye. Looking at the old lever shocks reminds me of the STP we would put in these shocks to basically make a go kart out of the suspension. With that carb I am sure that the engine will have plenty to drink. All the best and enjoy these two great old British cars.
Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby model murdering » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:07 am

Hard at it for sure!

I can relate to the early mornings, late nights, and long days, it takes to get a personal project on the road. Following along is vicarious fun for old shop lizards, as the build unfolds. Picking out the subtle and obvious changes is always part of the game for me.

Looks like you burned in some new floorpans, and fabbed a replacement dash panel. Did a few of those Weber DVGA progressive conversions over the years, but I still have a soft spot for the sidedraften' bug sprayers.
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:30 pm

Totally... jealous... totally.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby btaylor » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks a bunch Guy's! It has been a labor of love so to speak. I am looking forward to racing this little jewel. My last Autocross ride was a 914 Porsche that I built from the ground up, and it was a hoot. of course that was quite a while back, and im a good bit older now, so maybe it will be more my speed. :lol: There are a few compromises on this car that may get rectified later on, such as the carb setup, wheel and tire width, etc. but for now, it will be fun to get tuned in to the track as is. I have rebuilt the entire suspension with nylon bushings instead of rubber, replaced the sway bar links to a positive link style, and have changed the shock fluid to 90 weight. Stiffer and lower front springs, and lowered and re arched rears springs as well It should handle fairly well, as it only tips the scales at 1200 lb right now. And with the cam,header and weber, I should be seeing around 80-85 HP. not a bad weight to hp ratio!
I have since replaced the ty rod ends and rack boots, that's an older picture. Hope to have some good pics of a finished project real soon! Thanks all for your comments, I know its not a slot car, but it is close in size!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby FC47 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:04 pm

Me too, when I wasn't on my cars I helped a friend build several TR8's with 8's in em.
Lot of fun just alone getting them ready.
Enjoy, thanks for bringing us along!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge