Slot Car Appraisal/Valuation Question

Friendly, Off Topic Chatter

Slot Car Appraisal/Valuation Question

Postby mnfordguy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:51 am

Good morning all;

Just wondering if anyone has had their cars, track and accessories appraised for insurance purposes,

I started racing with the MN group about 10 years ago with 2 Scaley cars.

Since then I have amassed a collection of slightly over 150 cars, and built my own track. I am not a "collector "...(most everything gets track time...., and my track is not all that special compared to many I have seen here.)

However with the investment over the years I'm thinking it should be protected should it become lost/stolen, destroyed.....fire, tornado etc....

Just checking to see what have you have done for your goodies,
mnfordguy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Slot Car Appraisal/Valuation Question

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 am

When I asked my agent, he said it would be under "household contents". But that may depend on your policy and insurance company. The other thing to remember is whether you have any rare or hard to replace items because those may be worth having a photo or other inventory record of for replacement value.

I only have a few cars like that, and in the accounting world they are worth far less than other household goods so I don't do anything special.

On the other hand, it's kinda worth doing an inventory anyway just so you don't keep buying the same car over and over.....unless you really want an IROC series.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:11 am

You may be able to get a separate personal articles policy that will cover your collectibles. You will need proof of value or an actual appraisal of each piece. With a personal articles policy, if something doesn't go right, and there's a claim it may not count against your homeowners policy as its separated out from the home. This may vary from state to state or by company. I had my Hotwheels insured when my redline spoiler collection was massive.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Up here it has to go one of two ways. A specifically insured collection, or classified as toys u der your household coverage. That was according to my insurance agent who came to the house to see my toys which i deed i p.ay with, not a simple collection.
All the best
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:14 am

Years ago, I had to update my slot car inventory for insurance. I made a note that the prices I listed were for "replacement" values, and they accepted it without question. At that time, there were 700+ cars, and a huge list of tools and particularly paints and parts. They simply valued the entire unit as what I said it was worth, and came by to check my security. They decided it was protected, and based on the crime stats for my area, they gave me a good rate. Later, I discovered that all they really did was increase the approximate value of household goods by the amount we agreed upon. In the end, my rate increased by almost nothing.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby mnfordguy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks all.

Good to know what you have done.....I forgot about the bazillion Hot Wheel and Johnny Lightning cars I have .
My track manager says.....no I AM a colletor.....

Anyway....Thanks, and a Merry Christmas to all with all the best for the New Year.
mnfordguy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Merry Christmas, MM.
That is why my Track Manager does not know exactly how many car I own.
It is a little harder to hide the tracks.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Bench Racer's Lounge